Probation ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

123_

My wife was born in the EU and was naturalized in the USA when she was a minor. She has since reinstated her EU citizenship. I am a USA citizen, born there, who also obtained citizenship to the Philippines, my father's birth country. My wife holds both an American passport and an EU one. I hold both an American passport and a Filipino one.

Here is our dilemma:

My wife was convicted of a non-violent federal white collar offence that she was actually innocent of. We were not able to afford proper legal representation. She served her prison sentence but while she was on federal probation (also referred to as supervised release), unbeknownst to federal authorities, and with the advice of a contact who formerly was employed by her Consulate General in the States, she left to return to Europe with intentions of never returning to the US and eventually giving up her US Citizenship.

We were informed by our contact that after leaving the States, we could
travel anywhere in the world safely, except the US and its territories, just in case
there was an arrest warrant put out for her by the US.

We would like to travel to the Philippines with our child and we want to be 100% positive that my wife will not be detained there by the US Government.

I will obviously be using my Filipino passport to travel and my wife will be using her EU one. Her 1st name on the American passport is the American version of her name on her EU passport.

My questions are:

1. Is it safe for my wife to travel without being detained in the Philippines for violating probation?
2. Is it possible for my wife to "negotiate" her probation violator status from Europe so that we can eventually travel outside the EU? If it is possible, what is the process?
3. Is she considered only a probation violator or is she considered a fugitive?

It's quite a confusing situation and if you know of whom else I should contact or any other references in this matter, please advise. I appreciate all the help that I can get in this matter. Thank you for your time and help.

How on earth would anyone know the answers to your questions?

Just 1 Question

My wife was innocent of the crime she was convicted of . She is dual citizen holding two passports and whilst on Federal Probation, she left to return to the country that she was born in, and has no criminal record in. Is it possible to drop her probation violation by hiring an attorney?

We would like to travel to another continent with our child and are wondering if she risks arrest. This is our reason for wanting to drop the probation violation. She has no plans of returning to the States. Please advise. Thank you.

Whenever you violate probation, the authorities lose interest in working with you.

However, hire a lawyer and see what you can negotiate.

Thank you

Thank you for the quick response. If you have any other advice or recommendations as to what type of attorney to hire or what to ask for specifically, I would appreciate it. We obviously had the wrong attorney to begin with. My wife and I are trying to find out as much as we can before we hire someone. We have also heard that we must wait till the said proabtion term is over before we can negotiate. Do you know if that is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back