1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Probabtion question

Discussion in 'Probation, Parole, Incarceration' started by Kaldric, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Kaldric

Kaldric Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Georgia
    Okay my brother just got out of jail for a felony drug charge. and there was an arguement about wether police can enter the house and search for drugs without a warrent. I wish to end this stupid arguement so i am asking here.

Can cops/police/probation officer come in and search the house without a warrent just because there is a felon living at the house?

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

It depends on the terms of his probation, but generally, yes they can enter the house he lives in to perform a search. Not because he is a felon, but because he's on probation.

*argument*
    *whether*
    *warrant*

Red Kayak and justblue like this.
  3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Is he on probation or parole?

5. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Subject of the thread is "Probation question"

6. Tax Counsel

Tax Counsel Well-Known Member

Most of the public does not know there is a difference, and the OP may well have assumed it was probation without really checking which one it is. The fact that he says he just got out of jail "on a felony drug charge" suggests that he is out on parole, not on probation. One does not usually get mere probation on a felony offense. I assume that's what prompted zddoodah to ask the question. It is not really clear which it is. The OP might want to double check to be sure of whether it's probation or parole.

Zigner and justblue like this.
  7. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Fair enough :)