Private property parking tickets

Bryb

Jurisdiction
Washington
I received summons today for three unpaid tickets that occurred on local college campus. I only received notification of two tickets. The university has a collection agency suing me for over $400 now. The face value of the tickets is roughly $135. Should I contact the attorney listed on the summons to negotiate? How should I proceed?

It would be far cheaper to pay the parking citations than to hire an attorney to fight them. You can try to negotiate but don't get your hopes up.
They have no reason to negotiate with you. Failure to pay the citations can lead to license and registration problems later. If they wait long enough they will get their payment in full.

I received summons today for three unpaid tickets that occurred on local college campus. I only received notification of two tickets. The university has a collection agency suing me for over $400 now. The face value of the tickets is roughly $135. Should I contact the attorney listed on the summons to negotiate? How should I proceed?
Why do you believe that your university is "private property"?

I would assume it would be much cheaper for them and for me to not appear in court and just settle this outside of court which is why I would assume they would negotiate and settle.

It would be far cheaper to pay the parking citations than to hire an attorney to fight them. You can try to negotiate but don't get your hopes up.
They have no reason to negotiate with you. Failure to pay the citations can lead to license and registration problems later. If they wait long enough they will get their payment in full.
Just seems ridiculous that they would take such a small amount of debt to court. Just working on this costs more to them than what the case is worth.

Again, WHY did you ignore them?

I didn't think it would go anywhere. My wife is an alum there and has donated to the college.

Just seems ridiculous that they would take such a small amount of debt to court. Just working on this costs more to them than what the case is worth.

They may not have to go to court. I don't know about your state, but in some places your unpaid tickets will prevent you from registering your vehicle or renewing your license when the time comes.
Since your citations went unpaid you have likely missed the opportunity to contest them.

Small amount? Cost of the tickets was 135... now 400+ so they are increasing it because they are going to take you to court and garnish your wages. You will end up paying all the court costs, Lawyer fee plus interest.

They'll do it to make an example of you.

Keep in mind that they are collecting on hundreds, maybe thousands, of citations. When word gets around that they do go to court it becomes a deterrent.

I didn't think it would go anywhere. My wife is an alum there and has donated to the college.

You now have an opportunity to donate to the college too, when you pay the fines!

Back