Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Privacy Rights violated while being a patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fycakifa

I was a patient in the University of Kentucky Hospital where I was employed and my medical records were being distributed around the hospital without my knowledge or permission, as well the nursing staff would tell employees when they came to the floor that I was HIV positive not knowing that some of the people who came to the floor were good friends of mine. There was also a nurse that worked in the nursery who told my friend to inform me of the staff coming to the floor to review my medical records who was in a did not need to no position. My concern is this took place about thirteen years ago and I'm not sure what the statue of limitations is in my state. I find this to be no different from a victim of sexual assault who needs to come forward on there on time. When this took place I was in a very disturbing state I didnt want anybody to know I didnt want to be the center of attention and I needed my space. I found out I was pregnant and then a couple of weeks later learned I was HIV positive I found myself in a very awful state of mine which I wouldnt wish on my worse enemy. Now I'm better at dealing with the situation and I feel people need to be punished for the hurt and discomfort they caused my family and myself.:confused: If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to handle this situation or can point me in the direction of someone who may be able to help It would be greatly appreciated. This has been a long time coming for me.

Last edited:
You nailed your own question.

The SOL has expired, assuming you ever had an action in the first place.

Thirteen years is too long to wait.

I hope you continue to heal and recover.

You might want to start by talking to the hospital administrator about your issue.

They should at least know what transpired.

Good luck.

Exactly! I wasn't referring to HIPPA. I can't turn to HIPPA concerning this matter. However I do thank you for your comment.

My point is that you can't punish someone for violating a law that did not exist at the time. What privacy laws do you believe existed before HIPAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back