Privacy Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

arphoto

Does law inforcement have to follow some sort of privacy act? I work in a hospital where we have "HIPPA" laws, which menas if I am caught talking about a patient I can get fired. There was an incident where my son was summons by the police and my wife and I weren't home. For some reason, (my is son was18 at the time), the officer called our workplace for phone #s at 2am to located us and give us a heads up. The officer proceeded to tell the people who answered the phone "why" he needed our #. I can understand telling them who he is, but did he have the right to go into detail about why the summons was given?

Thanks...

No, there is no law that was violated by his disclosure.

And you should learn that the law regarding medical privacy is HIPAA, not HIPPA.

Does law inforcement have to follow some sort of privacy act? I work in a hospital where we have "HIPPA" laws, which menas if I am caught talking about a patient I can get fired. There was an incident where my son was summons by the police and my wife and I weren't home. For some reason, (my is son was18 at the time), the officer called our workplace for phone #s at 2am to located us and give us a heads up. The officer proceeded to tell the people who answered the phone "why" he needed our #. I can understand telling them who he is, but did he have the right to go into detail about why the summons was given?

Thanks...

Well, you are going to have to look into your states laws. You would be looking under "Public records" and "Confidential Criminal Justice Information".

The problem I see is the fact (where I live anyway) that the people have a RIGHT to know. But, this wasn't on T.V. warning the public or a danger.

Also, there are no damages. You have to have damage occure before you can do anything. The office wasn't right in telling them why, but, perhaps your state has a law, or your work has a policy not to give out the # except in an emergency stituation. That may be the reason that the office told them.

Now it would be different if your son committed a past offence, and the office called your work to tell them that. But to locate you, he probably did what he had to do to contact you.

Thats the problem with this country. If you get blamed for a crime, even if a jury aquites you, you are always guilty in the public eye that is clouded by propaganda.

The idea of "inocent until proven guilty" is long dead in this country. Years ago, that held true, not anymore.

HIPPA or HIPAA, you obviously knew what I meant...that was the importance of this post.
I do not have a problem with him finding out where we were to contact us, my issue was him telling a complete stranger "why" he needed the #s. Identifying himself is fine by me, but he did not need to go into exactly what was happening in order to get the #? I'm sure our fellow employees would have offered the info without knowing all the details. Doesn't make sense that your entire place of business knows your business before you do!

arphoto: I hear you. I can only say, either the cop was out of line, or he NEEDED the info.

I still agree with you, but, we have to look at the entire picture before we burn the condemded.

What are the damages? Please list, I will try to provide cases to help you.

I can be reached at the following:

http://www.nojurisdiction.com/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back