Previous Employer witholding Commissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday17

I worked as a licensed Property Manager and decided to leave the company. At the time of my departure there were three lease renewals out to tenants for signature to renew their lease. During my employment I had an agreement with my broker that I would be paid a commission on any renewals that I received. When I left it was agreed that I would be paid my same commission on the three outstanding deals when they were signed. Per this agreement I have been paid two of the three commissions.

My previous employer is now telling me that they will not pay me this last commission because I have not hung my license with a new broker. My license is current and will not expire for another four (4) years but I have not hung it with a new broker. Are they able to withold a commission because I have not hung my license with a new broker?

Thanks,

Sue the bad people in small claims court.

No they can not hold your commission because of that. If you are owed any commission after you leave a brokerage the commission gets paid directly to you and not to the new company anyways. I am a licensed agent and have worked in the office of 3 different real estate offices. When ever an agent leaves we are still able to pay the agent directly and do not have to go thru their new office. Even if you license was no longer active they are still obligated to pay you.

You didn't specify what State you are in and that could be important. Owned a Mortgage Company for 15 years in the State of Georgia. If commissions were substantially earned I owed them even if the employee left. They have to pay you, and they have to do it as if you are under their license. That is my guess subject to you having a different rule in your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back