Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Pretty Theft - experience needed!! Thx a million!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DradoLau

Dear all readers,

I am not living in US and is a visitor from Asia.
I picked up a used phone in a X-ray box in the LAX airport which was not mine by mistake. I was so careless that I do not really aware that until I am going to board the plane.
The police stopped me and ask me whether I get any one property that is not mine. I say yes and give them the old phone back. They said that the video captured my action on putting that phone into my bag. I did admit that and tell them that I should not pick up the phone that is not mine. I picked it up by mistake and the phone, in fact, is of no value to me because I have 2 more advanced phone in my bag already. They said that the "victim" want to take me to court and the date is Aug 17. I have absolutely NO crime record in my country as well as united states.

Here's a couple of question:

1) Should I hire a lawyer in that case? or I should be my own defense lawyer? If hire a lawyer is needed, what is the rough price? by hour or by case?
2) What will be a penalty to me if the judge think that I am quity?
3) The court is very rigid on date - they do not receive fax, email and just want a letter with a return envelop with stamp..... I basically give up to change the date.

Pls help.......

Drado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back