pressler & pressler

Status
Not open for further replies.

newjersey

I have an unpaid AT&T cell phone bill dating back to at least 2002 in the alleged amount of $788.00. The account was allegedly turned over to PALISADES COLLECTION L.L.C. for collection at some point. On 1/9/06 I recieved a letter from the law firm of PRESSLER & PRESSLER of CEDAR KNOLLS N.J. alleging that they obtained the account from PALISADES COLLECTION L.L.C. and that they PRESSLER & PRESSLER are suing me for the alleged monies owed to AT&T WIRELESS along with there filing fees etc. for a now total of $857.00 through the SUPERIOR COURT OF N.J. LAW DIVISION, SPECIAL CIVIL PART with an alleged docket number and date to appear. I did not appear on the date for the most part there was no time given to appear, no court room number to appear in and also not sure if this action is legal to have this alleged debt owed to AT&T WIRELESS, then to PALISADES COLLECTION L.L.C. then to this law firm PRESSLER & PRESSLER in the last several years. On 6/26/06 I recieved another letter from PRESSLER & PRESSLER saying that a judgement has been ruled against me in the SUPERIOR COURT OF N.J. SPECIAL CIVIL PART for the amount owed. They also attached a INFORMATION SUBPOENA AND WRITTEN QUESTIONS to this letter. Also in the letter in says that I have (14) days to comply and FAILURE TO COOMPLY WITH THIS INFORMATION SUBPOENA MAY RESULT IN MY ARREST AND INCARCERATION. In this "SUBPOENA" is asks for any bank account numbers, drivers license number, social security number, etc...
I conducted some online research in reference to PRESSLER & PRESSLER LAW FIRM and found that they are doing similar things to other people in this state. I have also found that they were involved in obtaining and buying persons bank account information from a third party and were found guilty thanks to a N.J. ATTORNEY PHILLIP STEVEN FUOCO who represented the victims of this practice by PRESSLER & PRESSLER. This now has caused great concern with me as to the legal actions against me in regards to PRESSLER & PRESSLER and my trust in giving them information abour myself such as drivers license number, social security number, etc... Hopefully someone in here with knowledge of N.J. LAW can help answer my following questions.
1.) Should I provide them with this information?
2.) Can I be arrested if I don`t provide the information?
3.) How is it possible to have this alleged debt go through (3)
different companies?
4.) Is this practice legal?
5.) What should my next course of action be in regards to this
Judgement against me?

Pressler and Pressler Law Firm

I am in a similar situation. They used the same tactics with me for a debt that was paid 7 years ago on line. I ignored their letters after they harassed me several times with numerous pages of legal paperwork that I was not familiar with. They were counting on my not knowing enough about this process.

They claimed that I missed the deadline of reply to the court (which process I was not familiar with), and were suing me for $600.00 on a $250 dollar paid years ago. Since I did not meet the deadline, the judge in Burling County automatically granted them judgement and never even read my letters sent directly to the court since I did not follow proper filing procedure.

In addition, they sent me several pages and lists asking for my driver's license information, social security and 5 pages of personal information. When I called them to dispute after judgement was placed in my name in court and on my credit report, their "so called" paralegal with a made up name of Melinda, informed me that she was recording me...(sure I said), she asked me for my social security number to access my records and like a dummy I provided her with such. She in turn said that unless I paid immediately, I will be arrested and will have the cops at my door handcuffing me. I wanted to get rid of their calls and nonsense and paid the full debt of $600.00. They suggested I pay on line. Of course, no receipt was provided to me. But several months later, they accessed my credit report unauthorized and are suing me for another debt and the amount is not even correct and they are harassing me waiting for me to not know enough. You know what they say, you can fool me once and then I am on to you. To hire an attorney will cost me more than my debt. But I went in person in court and filled a simple form for $15 indicating I do not owe this amount. In turn, the court clerk informed me that a trial date will be set and a mediator will be presented with real facts. If they do not show up in court THE case is dropped if you are present. I also filled a complaint with the FTC on line for FREE. go to www.fitc.gov they accept such complaints and they do their own investigation.

It gets better, they accessed my credit report a few weeks ago unauthorized and they are trying to collect another debt which was written offer 10 years ago but still on my credit report. The Fair Credit reporting Act (information listed on www.ftc.gov) says it is illegal for anyone to access your credit report without your authorization and you cannot be harassed for getting arrested, since there is no such law that will arrest us for not paying a very old debt. But they can put the judgement on your record and can affect your life.

Let's stop Pressler and Pressler's unlawful practices. They count on us not being able to afford attorneys to sue them. But my research shows they have been sued a few times.

Pressler and Pressler

I too received a letter of judgement and subpeona of information from Pressler and Pressler stating that I have an outstanding debt with New Century Financial Services, a company that buys old debt. I am not told who the creditor is to whom I allegedly owe this debt. I have not received any notices from anyone, prior to today, regarding an outstanding debt. I also filed a complaint with the FTC and the NJ Bar Association and disputed the debt with the credit reporting agencies. I have not yet received a reply as this all just transpired today.

the same thing also happened to me

I was summons on 8/01. I answered the summons and then sent a letter to pressler & pressler asking them to validate the debt and the completely disreguarded it and sent me a letter to telling me to call and make a deal with them. I have been researching the junkdebt buying and i got a copy of the Fair Debt collection Practices act and it states the "rules" for debt collectors. Pressler & Pressler has violated many of them with me. he debt they are trying to collect is an old citibank account that was charged off in 2002. When i first recieved the summons i called them and the told me that the Plaintiff Midland fundung was a division of citibank and that was a flat out lie. They have used my credit score to try and get me to pay. I got a copy of my credit report last week and it shows them making an inquiry, the check your score and see if your likely to pay. they also have a derogatory report aginst me. I need to dispute it but i dont know how.

today I got a letter from them with abunch of questions that i cannot understand and the want them returned in 30 or the judgement will be against me.

At this pointim ready to just turn it over to a lawyer and maybe counter sue them for all the violations of the FDCPA

Pressler and Pressler Law Firm

Pressler and Pressler is a large debt collector firm that continues to disregard debts and produce real valid amounts. Unfortunately, they can put a judgement against you, although they violate the FTC regulations.

File a complaint with the FTC against them. www.ftc.gov

They know that if you have had money problems you probably can't afford to hire attorneys and pay them more fees to deal with them. But if enough people file complaints against them with the FTC, we will all have won against these thieves who make money on people's old bills.

Pressler and Pressler Tactics

In addition, if you receive their letters, all you have to do is contact your court clerk and go in person and file a form disputing the amount, it costs approximately $15 to do so. Keep replying to their ridiculous letters with short notes, and keep copies. They don't even read the letters you send them and their assistants who claim they record you, they are unethical and rude.

How do they all sleep at night. I can't imagine why the bar association let's crooks like them access credit reports, and grow as a company and make millions. They are THIEVES.

Major problems with P&P and I don't know what to do!!!

I had a judgement against me which resulted in a levy of my bank account on the first of the month. How coincidental that it would land on the first of the month, same time rent is due; and knowing money would be in the account to take. I thought that would be the end of the nightmare as I try to recover from the blow to my finances; I barely get by as it is and this was devastating. Anyway, now I get a letter stating that since the levy did not satisfy the judgement they will have a court officer come to my home to collect on the rest of the debt. Does this imply that they will take my stuff, my clothes, my bed, my lousy 7yr old TV???? I'm extremely worried and at the same time wonder if what they are doing is illegal and not possible; is it just another P&P scare tactic? or something they can really do? I am in the process of looking for an attorney that will give a free consult and look at the letter; if anyone has a suggestion on whom to contact or what I can do that would be great. Once I get all the info together I expect to file complaints with the state attorney generals office and the FTC.

we should file a counter suit

I contacted a lawyer in Ledgewood, nj who is a consumer fraud lawyer and he takes case like ours. It says on his website that he takes most cases on a contingency. I sent him an email and he responded right away.(I didnt call him back yet because Im scared and I dont know what to do yet) Maybe we should all get together and file a class action suit. I think if enough of us get together we have a better chance of winning. The whole situation is very frightening Im waiting for some one to come to my house looking for money. My boyfriend and I share a bank account and I'm going to take my name off of it. I'm scared that they are going to try to get money out of it and most of the money is NOT mine.

Here's his site

Anyone intrested can email me with your situation
tinamc@tmail.com

Tina

Pressler and Pressler

Tina,

I would be interested in knowing what the lawyer's response was, I have a judgement against me by P & P, and they are now threatening to have me arrested and thrown in jail. I would be interested in pursuing a class action suit against P & P. I am going to contact this law office myself.

Linda

I would read the FDCPA in it it states that they cannot imply that non-payment of any debt will result in inprisonment unless such action is lawful and the debt collector intend to take such action.

I agree I just got a letter I have 10 days to respond to or they will have an arrest warrant. Lets all agree to get together with one lawyer and put this scumbags out of business and out of work.

I don't know what to do

I am having the same problem as everyone else here. I received the judgement letter for New Century Financial Services- I have no idea what this is for ($2413.99). I have no idea what to do- I can't pay this debt because I have no money, I don't even know what it is for and I am terrified that they are going to come and arrest me or seize my bank accounts. I am constantly leaving in fear because of this! Can someone tell me what I should do? Thanks so much for your help...

I hope somebody can correct me if I am wrong but you can't get arrested for not paying. I do know they can seize your bank accounts. I got a letter threatning letter from them that I am going to be arrested if I don't comply with the order to pay. I hate this company I hope we can all get together and sue them shut them. I understand moviegirl's situation we are both in the same boat where we have no money and are just trying to survive then having Pressler and pressler its puts you over the edge.

bonjovi is correct- you cannot be arrested for not paying a debt. However, you can be arrested for contempt of court, which is what will happen if you do not complete the information subpoena pressler has sent you. Since they have a judgment against you, they are entitled to the information. Additionally, filing complaints with the ABA, FTA, attorney general, etc... all pointless. Listen, Pressler has been dealing with the FDCPA for a long time- and know the law much better then you think you do by simply reading through the FDCPA. If you think you have a legitimate complaint- talk to a lawyer. Can't afford one? Go to legal aid. They will tell you the same thing, you are wrong.
As for that geocities site, do you really think Pressler has never seen those forms before? They can respond to them and make you look like a fool in court. In addition, the judge will see the following:
1. you have a judgment against you.
2. you have not paid your bills, and are still not paying.
3. you are wasting the courts time.
Bottom line- you owed money you didn't pay. This is America. You don't get anything for free. Firms like Pressler are supporting America's economy because they are willing to pay large companies for their debts, thus allowing them to stay in business! Just because Pressler then goes after people like you who won't pay their bills does not make them bad people. Any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

My case is over a stupid gym membership at ballys. Ballys is not starving over it. Pressler & Pressler are trying to throw me in JAIL.

Unfortunatly you have a problem with balleys. They are in a class action suit in California for bad business practices with lots of extend contracts. Good news is, if they lose, your case will be dismissed. Bad news is, until then the judgment against you is valid. Worse news is, this case is not about to end anytime soon...
Remember now though, you didn't pay your bill and now you have to face the music. Even if you do get arrested on contempt of court for not completeing the information subpoena, all they will make you do is fill it out and then you go home. Its not like you are going to serve life in prison. You won't even make it to a cell. In fact, if you just send it to Pressler- you will never see a cop...
You really need to just get on a payment plan with them before they contact your job to take money from your paycheck, or empty your bank account. What's more, if they have to take the money from you instead of you going on a plan, you end up oweing more because a court officer is entitled to 10% of the judgment against you- and Pressler is not paying that, you are... ON TOP of what you owe Pressler...
So fill out the information subpoena (without lying or skipping anything unless you want to get arrested over this stupid thing), call them, and pay.

I did fill out the subpoena you mind by any chance of giving me the link of the news about Ballys i would greatly appreciate it.

Just google (bally's "class action"). I got 71,800 hits.

Also, if you filled out the subpoena and sent it back to Pressler- call them ASAP to set up a payment plan on your terms. If you don't- you will end up owing more (see above comment RE: court officer fees)

Information Subpeona

If you fill out the "information subpeona" that Pressler & Pressler has sent you, doesn;t that almost guarantee that they will garnish your wages and empty your bank accounts? They ask for all the information on the information subpeona. How can they empty your account? How are you supposed to live? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back