Power of Attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRSWOLF

My fiance agreed to let his aunt be his power of attorney in 2001(he will be 30 this year) when he was caring for his ailing dad and great aunt. This was done so he wouldn't have the additional burden of having to pay all the bills. When his dad and great aunt passed, his aunt kept the p.o.a. He is currently on Medicare because he is mostly deaf in his left ear. He ofcourse gets SSI. All this time his aunt has been getting his SSI checks and only giving him $130 out of an almost $800 check. When we started dating and he moved here, she said she would only give him $500/month of his ssi check. He doesn't fight her on this but wants to get her released as his p.o.a. He has a bank account that is in both of their names that he can not access without her permission.
There is no legal reason for her to be his P.O.A. but she will not agree to let it go. She told him that when we were together for 6 months she would sign
it over to me?. That would be fine because he doesn't need it and I would just end it anyway.
What can we do to get her off as his power of attorney and how can he get
into his bank? By his count, there should be several hundred dollars in that account and he is afraid that she will take the money. Is there any way he can freeze the account or something to that effect that will keep her from taking what is left?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back