Posting messages on a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my advise is def. not legal advise, just opinion.....

I would think if you threatened someone bad enuf, or harassed 'em on a forum, that they could use your ip, and posting info against you...

Not sure what type of posting you mean.. :)

Forums

Hi, Their is a man on a forum saying he has kept all PM's and e-mails from people threating him. He thinks the PM's can be used in court against these people sending him messages. I heard from a lawyer that PM's cann't be used. Is this true?

Sid:confused:click here for Forum in question.

Last edited:
Well...... once again..... I DO NOT know laws....... I'm just usin' common sense...... I think.. hehe

Anywayz...... If he tries hard enuf, and has a decent lawyer, I would think they could get the ip info from your, (or whoevers), isp, much like the RIAA is doing right now, and if they could prove those messages were from you, then yes... I would think they could use 'em against you in court.....

Think about it this way...... If you send a post marked letter to someone, threatening to kill them, it can be used against you. Same thing with email, forum posts could be different, but I wouldn't see how..

Good Luck.. I'd still guess the guy is just blowin' smoke..... Hope I'm right.....

Originally posted by sid343:
Hi, Will the courts allow copys of postings from a forum in a court room?
Evidence is evidence. Postings in a forum can be used in a court of law as can IMs and PMs. Authentication -- proving that the evidence shown has not been altered -- might be an issue. That might be accomplished in several ways and beyond the scope of this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back