Post Veterans Day Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to write something for Veterans Day but was under the weather the past few days. I had a very sobering experience on Veterans Day in seeing pictures of so many friendsmine in uniform which were taken during their service in our armed forces. The most impacting thought I had - as always is the case when I usually see our troops - is "oh my.... how young they are... They are just children." Many of my friends are almost unrecognizable at first glance, as they enlisted and served in our armed forces between 15 and 25 years ago. During my era we were fortunate not to have seen much of any real action with some exception. But as the years went by, we have seen our country involved in several different military engagements of great magnitude. What used to be theoretical is absolutely real and with devastating impact. I'm so very grateful for the people who serve and have served in our armed forces and hopefully our country's appreciation for their service goes beyond just one day's worth of remembrance.

I appreciate the sentiment, professor. But, I'm reminded of what some have termed our greatest generation, those who endured and served during WWII.

I recall discussing this once with my dad. Dad said, in his own, laid back Appalachian (converted Midwestern) way, "Son, I don't need no thanks, they paid me every month, that's thanks enough for a job."

That's always stuck with me professor, that generation; men and women, understood things. They just did it because it was expected, and they moved on. There's wisdom in their ways.

My Dad was alive (born 1899) during World War I though didn't serve. He told many stories that he heard from those who did serve. My oldest brother (born 1932) a little young for World War II - he was in service during Korean War. My younger brother had a friend of his who served in World War II die last week - not many left.

I meant to also post & then forgot that I'm sorry you were under the weather for a few days, thelawprofessor. I'm glad you're feeling better.

I hear you army judge. I do respect those words. When my grandparents were alive, they were far too proud to ever accept more than they were promised after performing an act that seemed righteous. To try to offer after the fact was insulting to them. Even if they won't accept or keep score, I try not to forget who did the dirtiest work of all. I've found the best way to handle this is to make sure that what should be provided is provided and that those that should receive are never put into a position where they need to ask.

My uncle served in the air force. My father didn't serve because of his poor eyesight. We were close to his father in law who served in WW II. I didn't forget. Perhaps I'm just shocked because too many people in this country think of Memorial Day as a 3 day weekend with fantastic sales. OK... enough sentimentality for an evening. :)

And thanks Betty. All good here although it's getting darn cold at night up here in the northeast. :)

I hear you army judge. I do respect those words. When my grandparents were alive, they were far too proud to ever accept more than they were promised after performing an act that seemed righteous. To try to offer after the fact was insulting to them. Even if they won't accept or keep score, I try not to forget who did the dirtiest work of all. I've found the best way to handle this is to make sure that what should be provided is provided and that those that should receive are never put into a position where they need to ask.

My uncle served in the air force. My father didn't serve because of his poor eyesight. We were close to his father in law who served in WW II. I didn't forget. Perhaps I'm just shocked because too many people in this country think of Memorial Day as a 3 day weekend with fantastic sales. OK... enough sentimentality for an evening. :)

And thanks Betty. All good here although it's getting darn cold at night up here in the northeast. :)

Good gosh, yes.

We, the USA, don't do enough for our veterans; especially the disabled ones.

If we did as Lincoln suggested decades ago, we wouldn't need private charities to assist with their care.

The VA is another great idea waylaid by the federal bureaucracy.

No veteran should ever go without, especially our conscripts.

That said, at a minimum those injured in the line of duty we owe a lifetime of care, and to their family if they're impacted, too.

The French do understand this, and are centuries ahead of us in caring for their military vets and foreign legionnaires.

Honestly, most of Europe is ahead us, too.

It seems on days like Memorial Day & Veterans Day we do think of our "soldiers" (all branches) & all they have done for us. They have ceremonies, parades, some restaurants gave free meals to Veterans on Veterans Day & so on but what about the rest of the year? As army judge said, the USA doesn't do enough for them & they need more than ceremonies & parades. People don't do enough for them. People post on bumper stickers & on facebook things such as support our troops but what does they really mean - what do "most" people do to support our troops? (not much I don't think) I'm just rambling here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back