Possible Fraudulant use of debit card

Libby B

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I am the executor of my brother's estate (he passed one month ago). He was disabled and was being 'cared for' by a friend while he was having a house built. In the 6 weeks that he was staying with this friend, his debit card was used to make a number of purchases, some of which I do believe he agreed to, but several I feel were not made with his knowledge. In these weeks, his care-taker and/or her daughter used the card for close to $5,000 in purchases. Of that amount over $3,000 was just cash being withdrawn at ATMs. The care-taker claims the money was used to pay of various 'workers' that were fixing up her house (building a wheelchair ramp, deck, replacing doors, etc.) In a matter of 4 days, $900 was spent on food (according to care-taker), and to top it off, while he was in the hospital on life support, someone used his debit card to extract a final $500 and also to purchase a money order for $575. Is there any way to reclaim any of this money on behalf of the estate? While my brother was disabled, he was in relatively good health, yet died in this woman's care.

I am the executor of my brother's estate (he passed one month ago). He was disabled and was being 'cared for' by a friend while he was having a house built. In the 6 weeks that he was staying with this friend, his debit card was used to make a number of purchases, some of which I do believe he agreed to, but several I feel were not made with his knowledge. In these weeks, his care-taker and/or her daughter used the card for close to $5,000 in purchases. Of that amount over $3,000 was just cash being withdrawn at ATMs. The care-taker claims the money was used to pay of various 'workers' that were fixing up her house (building a wheelchair ramp, deck, replacing doors, etc.) In a matter of 4 days, $900 was spent on food (according to care-taker), and to top it off, while he was in the hospital on life support, someone used his debit card to extract a final $500 and also to purchase a money order for $575. Is there any way to reclaim any of this money on behalf of the estate? While my brother was disabled, he was in relatively good health, yet died in this woman's care.

Please accept my sincerest condolences upon the passing of your sibling.
You can discuss your concerns with the police.
The police might have an interest, if any criminal activity can be shown.

Back