possible bank fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbottfouroaks

In the middle of july of 1999 I recieved the first of approximatly 300 overdraft statements. I put in additional money to clear the problem but that only made the problem worse. I tried to get the North Carolina attorney general's office to investigate but the receptionist at the attorney general's office said that the post office had never delivered anything from me. After two months of no delivery the attorney general's office decided that I needed to go to voice mail. No one answers my phone calls anymore. I closed the account the first friday in January of 2000. One month later my mother asks me one morning if I had changed the password to my checking account. I told her no that the account was closed and she went bersierk screaming and yelling all sorts of things. Two weeks later I recieved an email that read " you are an sob. Michael".

What do I do next ?

I'm confused. Was your mother an authorized signer on your account? If she was she technically had legal access to all money. If she wasn't, then time to call the police and file a report. you jave waited so long though to report it I don't know whether or not anything can be done. You were smart to finally close the account. You can also sue your mother in small claims possible to recover any money, but there is a statute of limitations in effect.

no my mother did not have authorized access to my bank account. I tried to file with the attorney general's office but that office kept saying that nothing from me ever arrived. I did get the information to the arbitration service that the attorney general's office runs, but that was useless as I could not specifically name who stole anything so the bank involved said nothing was wrong and that was that.

I left out that my mother is now dead. That complicates matters. Is there anyway to get an investigation started? I still have all my records from the bank as well as all the invoices, reciepts, et. al.

If your mother is dead, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you had so many overdraft withdrawls, then you weren't paying much attention to who was accessing your account. It's probably far too late to do anything about it. Banks have entire fraud departments that investigate this stuff, did you not ever complain to your bank that someone was accessing your account?

I have been complaining about this for eight years to any and everyone who would listen. That did include Centura Bank where the problem occurred. I live in a state ( North Carolina) that is rural and ever since the current Governor started in state politics has had one political scandal after another. The current Governor was the Attorney General that I stated that I had sent photocopies of documents to. I balanced my bank statements every month except for the month previous to the month that I had problems starting in.
I did not have problems before July of 1999 of the magnitude that I had in 1999. I did have bank statements that showed that I had less money in the bank that my check register showed but I wrote that off to an accounting problem even though I could not find any reason for the shortage. Those shortages occurred ruffly every three months then surprisingly stopped just before the major problem occurred in July of 1999. Apparently you have never talked to a bank concerning a problem before because problem apparently are always, at least according to the banks, the fault of the depositor. what I would like to accomplish is get the money back. As far as the police in this state are concerned these problems never occur.

I have 3 questions:
Do you think your mother stole your money?
Did your mother send the email?
How was the money withdrawn from your account (check, ATM, etc)?

I believe that my mother only provided the password to my section of the bank's internet banking system. She had had a stroke and was confused even by a tv remote control. I know this because I was continually replacing the batteries when she would press the wrong button, get angry and throw the remote across the room she was in. I was using electronic or internet banking to keep tabs on my checking account when the problem occurred.
My mother did take programming classes at our local technical institute but she failed to do the work required ( I.E. homework) so therefore I do not believe that she would be able to send the email. As for how the money was taken out of the bank account that remains a mystery. I have yet to find anything missing, but I have had to pay out more than $56,000.00 and still have not payed out all that is owed. Creditors still say that I owe over $49,000.00.

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. I assume that the 56K and 49K are to cover checks that bounced. Is that correct? If so, then that would mean that over 100K was withdrawn from your account before January 2000, but that you cannot find those withdrawals in your statements. Is this right? If this is correct, then maybe an accountant can help you straighten it out. I think the problem is that you have to be able to point out a debit from your account, and then show that you did not withdraw the money yourself.

I'm sure I must be missing something. I don't understand why your bank statements don't show withdrawals that shouldn't be there. Let me know what I'm missing.

I'm confused myself as to the fact that I can not find any missing amounts. You are correct in that the 56k and 49k are to cover checks that bounced and are still owed. The only questionable amounts are those found when I balanced the bank statements and could balance the statements because the bank said that I had less money that my check register said I did.

Ok, I think I understand. Is this right:

1. You balanced your account almost every month until you closed it in January 2000.
2. Until July 1999, the bank statements matched your figures. I assume any differences were less than $25 or so.
3. The deposits, withdrawals, debits, checks, fees, etc. that appear on all of your statements for 1999 are valid and you can account for them (that is, they are the same as the ones recorded in your check register.)
4. When you closed the account in 2000, your check register showed a balance that was 100K greater than the bank's balance.

I'm not a lawyer, and hopefully one will respond to your post, but in the meantime I suggest that you have an independent auditor or accountant go through your records to try to figure this out. Then perhaps the results of the audit can be used to prompt the authorities to be more attentive to your problem.

In essence you are correct. The one exception is that the 56k is fromm the checks that had to be repaid and the overdraft fees. The 49k is what is still owed, I ran out of money to paid that. The only problems with balancing was years ago, probably between 1990 and 1995.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back