Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Possession

Shawna Ranney

Jurisdiction
Iowa
I was used my deferred judgement on possession of marijuana charge and waived it cause I couldn't afford my drug deversion class so now I have 5 day suspended jail time and I couldn't make cause I have nobody to help me with my children..so they issued a warrant..what happens to me if I turn myself in and is there any other options??

I was used my deferred judgement on possession of marijuana charge and waived it cause I couldn't afford my drug deversion class so now I have 5 day suspended jail time and I couldn't make cause I have nobody to help me with my children..so they issued a warrant..what happens to me if I turn myself in and is there any other options??

You can't give the court excuses or bring a note from your mother in an effort to escape a court order.

I can't say what will happen to you now.

However, in similar cases, people have had their children taken by the state, if the kids aren't placed with a relative.

No one gets out of disobeying a court order.

The people I know who chose to play it your way, all ended up doing two to thre emonths of jail time.

Some even got revoked on their initial sentences and ended up in prison with three or four year sentences, a few even got MORE years!!!

The longer you delay, the more the judge will make you pay.

The police won't be actively looking for you, because most people in your predicament get caught when they least expect it.

If you don't turn yourself in, the warrant isn't going away & you could be arrested when you least expect it. (examples "routine" traffic stop or traffic accident even if accident wasn't your fault)

what happens to me if I turn myself in and is there any other options??

And if you happen to have your kids in the car when you get pulled over, they will be taken away from you and your car impounded. Whatever you "can't afford" now will cost you 10 times as much to fix later.

Back