Possession is 9 pts. of the Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selectrick

Can someone please clarify what this old phrase actually means? I'm wondering if it may apply to a situation I have a problem with. I was storing some property belonging to a guy in my home and for reasons I don't care to explain on this forum I'm rather reluctant to return it.(let's just say I was bent over sans vaseline) What are this persons options other than small claims court. They have threatened to call the cops and try to charge me with theft, which I believe is rather ridiculous considering it's my word against his. There are no receipts or proof of ownership. What's the verdict? Thanks for any input, and believe me, he had it coming!Lmao!

Can someone please clarify what this old phrase actually means? I'm wondering if it may apply to a situation I have a problem with. I was storing some property belonging to a guy in my home and for reasons I don't care to explain on this forum I'm rather reluctant to return it.(let's just say I was bent over sans vaseline) What are this persons options other than small claims court. They have threatened to call the cops and try to charge me with theft, which I believe is rather ridiculous considering it's my word against his. There are no receipts or proof of ownership. What's the verdict? Thanks for any input, and believe me, he had it coming!Lmao!

The saying basically means that it's difficult to pry something out of the hands from someone else. Yes, if you lied then chances are this person might have to go to court but it's certainly possible that this other person might file a claim for theft and be justified as you'll see. There are more serious consequences here as this is not a good faith dispute. To begin, if you go to small claims court and are caught in a lie, then you've got to deal with matters of perjury and, perhaps, a judgment for the maximum against you. Let's say that unless you have a very good story, any half-witted judge will see right through your lie. Also remember what happened to Roger Clemens... don't know if you read the newspapers recently but apparently a photo happened to surface that showed the famous pitcher at a party that he swore (and so did several others) that he did not attend. You never know what might surface about your property. And typically I find what comes around goes around and, unless you have a very good reason for holding onto the property as security, you're probably just best off giving it back and moving on with life.

Just my thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back