Possesion of Stolen Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianomanuncc

Last night, my girlfriend and I picked up a downed speed limit sign from her neighborhood for her dorm room, not thinking that it would be a serious offense considering that it was already out of the ground. After placing it in her back yard, pole intact, a police officer arrived moments later while her father and I were on the front poarch. He asked the father for the sign and the officer denied it, even though he knew. I followed suit and responded with a denial and he asked to speak to my girlfriend who was in the house. When she stepped out, she immediately said yes to the officers question. She took him around back to the sign and asked me and the father to stay there. When he came back around, he wrote her a ticket for "Possesion of Stolen Property". This is the first time we have ever had any run-ins with law enforcement. What should we do? What are our options? How serious of an offense is this? Is it possible to go to the D.A.s office and request that the charges be dropped? Do we need a lawyer / public defender for this case? I am somewhat concerned about the charges and just need some sort of advice...

Please Help...

Brandon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back