Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Police report

Stacy

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My ex and I had a disagreement. He told a friend that he had filed a police report stating that I had threatened him via voicemail and text messaging..this all occured two days ago. What comes after police report is filed against you in the state of GA. Will I be arrested? Will I have papers served? I've never been in trouble with the law.

My ex and I had a disagreement. He told a friend that he had filed a police report stating that I had threatened him via voicemail and text messaging..this all occured two days ago. What comes after police report is filed against you in the state of GA. Will I be arrested? Will I have papers served? I've never been in trouble with the law.

Based on what you said, IF a police report of that sort was filed, very little will happen to you.

Frankly, I doubt he reported it.

He's probably just blowing smoke, but don't take any more chances by having contact with him.

Just in case, I suggest you cease all communications with him.

Block his telephone numbers, his texts, his email, don't communicate with him in anyway.

It's over, allow the sleeping dog to sleep.

When is he did make a report it doesn't mean that what he reported amounted to a criminal act.
Had a report been made a couple days ago you should have heard from police by now. He was likely told that what he was reporting did not amount to criminal threats or any other offense and that he can pursue civil options such as restraining orders if desired.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If police do show up then politely decline to give a statement. Tell them you can't talk because you have to go blow your nose.
As above, avoid any further contact with the ex and you won't have these concerns anymore.

Agree with the others. And, in case you didn't quite get it, I'll repeat:

Block his telephone numbers, his texts, his email, don't communicate with him in any way.

My ex and I had a disagreement. He told a friend that he had filed a police report stating that I had threatened him via voicemail and text messaging..
A police report is just that,a report to the police.Whether the report taken amounts to a crime,and has sufficient evidence to support it,is another matter.So,if your ex,did indeed file a police report,and has evidence of the threats on his phone,you could be looking at a "Terroristic Threats" charge.
Now,it's not just what's on his phone,but being charged with that offense will depend on if what you said actually constitutes a "real threat." Only you know what you said,but if you did make a "real threat,"the next step would be a Warrant issued for your arrest.
As previously noted,you should cease from all contact with your ex,and maybe this all goes away.Here's a link to Georgia's,Terroristic Threats and Acts Statute.2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES :: CHAPTER 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY :: ARTICLE 2 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER :: § 16-11-37 - Terroristic threats and acts; penalties

Watch the video:

Professor Duane explains it better than anyone I know.
Yeah,armyjudge,I watched this video awhile back,his talks,"miles a minute,"and is quite humorous in explaining the 5th Amendment,but of course everything he said's is "spot on," but we as law enforcement,we still very much want the suspect to talk to us,and most suspects do talk regardless of being given the Miranda warnings.

It's because they are innocent and have nothing to hide!
No doubt the "truly innocent," which is in that small category of suspects interrogated,do feel that way,but it's those scared guilty ones that end up talking,thinking they can "talk their way out of trouble,"or somehow "out smart" an experienced Detective,who's already heard everything before.
It's really a lot of things,that make suspects talk/As the Detective in that video explains,"guilty suspects just want to tell their story.
The very intimidating environment of "police custody,"and the fact of someone wanting the whole thing to be over with as quick as possible,can,and does make a lot of suspects talk.Just short of making a confession,they end up making several "admissions" of guilt,and all of this "after" being read their rights.

No doubt the "truly innocent," which is in that small category of suspects interrogated,do feel that way,but it's those scared guilty ones that end up talking,thinking they can "talk their way out of trouble,"or somehow "out smart" an experienced Detective,who's already heard everything before.
It's really a lot of things,that make suspects talk/As the Detective in that video explains,"guilty suspects just want to tell their story.
The very intimidating environment of "police custody,"and the fact of someone wanting the whole thing to be over with as quick as possible,can,and does make a lot of suspects talk.Just short of making a confession,they end up making several "admissions" of guilt,and all of this "after" being read their rights.

If you watch the video, Professor Duane alerts everyone as to why talking to the police can be harmful to your freedom.

He cites Martha Stewart and her "chat" with FBI agents and federal statutes that classify mistakes of fact as lies.

For instance a suspect says she was at the Bloody Bucket Bar on 3rd St between 3:00 PM and 8:00 PM mistakenly, because she was at that bar between 5:00PM and 6:00PM.

I speak to high school classes annually and we use his video as part of our half day discussions.

His latest work is even more informative.

I also count him as a friend, as well as a brother at the bar.

Yeah,I will check this video out too.My whole point is the last post was,that people do talk to the police even after they are given their Miranda Warnings,and they do so based on many factors,besides being innocent and having nothing to hide.
I do 100% agree with Professor Duane,that talking to police can never help a suspect,and may even hurt them should they make guilty admissions or unwittingly make statements that cast them in a "bad light."
Miranda Warnings do not preclude an experienced Detective from using many techniques,even deception which is legal,to presuade a suspect into talking.
I personally take pride in doing things by the book,but I've seen a many suspect just spill their guts out after reading them their Rights.

Yeah,I will check this video out too.My whole point is the last post was,that people do talk to the police even after they are given their Miranda Warnings,and they do so based on many factors,besides being innocent and having nothing to hide.
I do 100% agree with Professor Duane,that talking to police can never help a suspect,and may even hurt them should they make guilty admissions or unwittingly make statements that cast them in a "bad light."
Miranda Warnings do not preclude an experienced Detective from using many techniques,even deception which is legal,to presuade a suspect into talking.
I personally take pride in doing things by the book,but I've seen a many suspect just spill their guts out after reading them their Rights.

I've defended people who blab because they think they're slick and talk their way out of trouble.
I've defended others who are too dumb to know what is happening.
The most infamous example of too much yapping is OJ, who had bamboozled the cops many times.

Then we have the elite: athletes, wealthy types, politically connected types, celebrities, and those who believe the police can't touch them and should be arresting the poor, those who have mental challenges, language barriers, the wrong skin color, drug addicts, and those on the wrong side of town.

I'm not disputing that people yap too darn much, or think they can outsmart the police.

That happens everyday, and one need only read what happened to the infamous Miranda who the warnings were named after.

If you don't know, its worth the research effort, and its an ironic outcome.

I tell students and citizens that justice is sometimes done without human intervention.
I call it divine justice.

What comes after police report is filed against you in the state of GA.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question.

Will I be arrested? Will I have papers served?

How should we know?

Keep in mind that, just because your ex "told a friend that he had filed a police report" doesn't mean it's true. I strongly suggest you refrain from communicating with your ex.

Back