Police negligence?

GBreck

Jurisdiction
Texas
so a $100 bill was stolen out of my wallet at my campus gym. I caught the guy on video reported it to the campus police. They were able to identify the male by when he signed in. After a long time they contacted me and told me they contacted the guy and he admitted to stealing out of my wallet but said he didn't take $100. The $100 bill was the only thing in my wallet, I know this because it was a gift. The investigator is being very difficult with communication and taking a long time with my case, it's been almost 4 months. If they have his name, video proof, and he admitted to stealing, why have I not received my money back? Thanks!

There are many reasons.
You have to understand that the criminal justice system is notoriously slow.
The suspect may have confessed, but a conviction in court can take much longer. A conviction does not mean you will immediately get your money. Do you know if the matter has been to court yet? You might contact the court to ask any the status and also ask about a victims compensation fund that convicted suspects pay in to.

The government doesn't reimburse you for thefts.
You want the money back, don't hold your breath.

If they have his name, video proof, and he admitted to stealing, why have I not received my money back?

Because having his name, video proof, and his confession does not mean that they also have the money.

If you don't want to wait for the criminal justice system, you can sue him in small claims court for the $100.

PS: Why did you leave your wallet out where it could be snatched?

so a $100 bill was stolen out of my wallet at my campus gym. I caught the guy on video reported it to the campus police. They were able to identify the male by when he signed in. After a long time they contacted me and told me they contacted the guy and he admitted to stealing out of my wallet but said he didn't take $100. The $100 bill was the only thing in my wallet, I know this because it was a gift. The investigator is being very difficult with communication and taking a long time with my case, it's been almost 4 months. If they have his name, video proof, and he admitted to stealing, why have I not received my money back? Thanks!

Why did you leave $100 in your car? It's not police "negligence." Just because you don't like the result doesn't mean it's negligence on their part. This stuff takes time.

Back