Police abuse of power or not

C

Coopspats

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I just had an unpleasant run in with the Leominster Ma. PD. I was crossing an intersection, when a car (audi)pulled out making a left turn, by the time I slowed down, I was fairly close to the vehicle making the left, he was now driving down the oncoming traffic lane because he jumped out in front of me. I shot the individuals a glare but no other gestures or horn were given. I continued a 1/4 mile down and pulled over to park on the street. (requesting an inspection at the town hall). Here comes the Audi barreling down the street and pulls up next to me as I'm crossing the road. Driver starts yelling at me and flashes his badge, I tell him I don't care who he was not to drive like an asshole. This happens to be in front of the local PD. He wants to see my ID and I tell him no, am I under arrest or what have I done? He then tells me to go inside the PD, again I ask him If I'm under arrest, he says I will be if i don't comply. Apparently this is his PD, the OOD or chief comes out and listens to our arguments for a few, then takes the driver(cop) and the passenger(believe he was a cop also) into the back room. They come out a few minutes later and tell me to come back. I do, they ask for my license and again I ask if I'm being ticketed or arrested they say no but it is now a traffic stop and I am required. Whatever, I need to get back to work and have nothing to hide. I give them my ID and they run it and let me go. This cop does a rolling stop, I mean mug him and all this ensues. Traffic stop in his personal Audi? He obviously turned around to pursue me for an altercation and shows his badge like it's his get free card. Was any of this legit or did I just run into one of those types of cops/departments.

did I just run into one of those types of cops/departments.

That.

You are free to send a written complaint to the chief of police if you like but if you live in a podunk town and your cops are aholes you might be wiser to just get over it.

Next time, don't mouth off to cops. Cooperate. I'm as much of a "rights" guy as anybody but the time to argue right or wrong is in court, not by the side of the road.

By the side of the road you say "Yes, Sir" and "Here's my documents, Sir."

Then you shut up and let him do what he's going to do.

I know that doesn't sit well with "rights" guys, but it's how you avoid having local cops following you around everywhere you go just waiting for you to make a mistake.

Let's start with what another attorney suggests a person do if stopped by a police car:

Your Rights During a Traffic Stop

I suspect if I wanted to take the time to research it, I'd find the statute that details "traffic stops" in MA.

However, that's irrelevant in your case because you complied with the various requests. Why you did that is beyond me. Why you'd "mean mug" anyone and become outraged when Officer Bigtime flashed his shield, is puzzling, too.

All you had to do is ignore the original incident, and continue on about your business. Every imposition you endured was done because you allowed or assented to it.

Sorry, I see nothing but bigger trouble in your future unless you learn to ignore the many uncouth, ill mannered, savages that populate this planet. You were lucky your adversary was a cop, and not some meth freak, stoked up on pills, booze, and a three day meth binge; packing heat, an IQ of 65, a hair trigger suffering from paranoid delusions!!

Back