POA Question

KathyBrian

Jurisdiction
Arkansas
Hi -

I have POA for my dad. My mom passed away last year. I pay all of dad's bill etc. and keep a sound paper trail.

I have an estranged sister who has become more estranged since mom's passing.

I have a brother who is a convicted felon for theft and has stolen from my parents in the past and also stole their identity for credit cards.

I was able to get involved with their finances and get everything straighten out and got them back on sound financial footing.

My dad is still very active with a sharp mind.

He has mentioned on several occasions that if my family (spouse + 2 teenage boys) ever need anything to just transfer funds; i.e.- for summer camp, travel, etc. I have been hesitant to do this because I do not want to appear that I am abusing the POA.

However, given the distance my siblings have become - I am considering to take him up on his offer.

Is there any documentation you would recommend to make sure the paper trail and his intent are on solid footing?

Thanks - KathyBrian

Last edited:
Is there any documentation you would recommend to make sure the paper trail and his intent are on solid footing?

Since your father "is still very active with a sharp mind," why do you have the POA? Is it just a matter of convenience?

One thing to keep in mind is that you having the POA doesn't prevent your father from doing things himself. If he wants to give you a monetary gift, he can do it himself, and that would be far better than you doing it using your authority under the POA.

However, given the distance my siblings have become - I am considering to take him up on his offer.
I don't see how your siblings' behavior and your consideration of accepting a gift from your father are related.

In any case, I agree with zddoodah except I will go even further and actually urge you not to use the POA to give yourself gifts from your father.

Back