Please reply asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
The minor may report the alleged assault, and then the DA will decide whether or not to go ahead with prosecution.

My boyfriend and I had a situation that ended up with my mom calling the police even know she wasn't present . It was a DV case and there was evidence if assault . After they talked to both of us about or sides of the story the police officer asked if I wanted to press charges. I was in the heat of the moment and said yes, im 17. immediately after returning home a private investigator called me and I told him I was haven't second thoughts about pressing them . He told me it was toocute to do anything about them , I didn't have an ID prior to pressing them .. I got a letter in the mail saying if I wished to proceed with the charges I was to call the number, I didn't call. But now I got a letter in the mail commanding me to appear in trial for this . My questions are; was I allowed to press charges in the first place? & who would I need to contact to tell my wishes being I don't want To go through with the charges & never did .. Do you have aome advice?? Please in desprite.

Is the SA a prosecutor? Should I let her know my thoughts .. & of so what should I tell her ? Thank you I appreciate this more than you know!

This is what often happens:

The "victim" makes a report (or someone does so on his/her behalf).

Too often, the "victim" recants, and wishes to have charges dropped. The SA/DA knows this, and as many as 70% of DV victims try to make it all go away.

Thankfully, the State almost expects the victim to recant - thus their testimony is not always needed in order to convict the alleged offender.

Practical advice: Never, ever call the police in order to get your partner to calm down - that is NOT what's going to happen. Once you call the police, the whole thing is basically out of your hands.

The decision whether to pursue a criminal charge was never yours. The District Attorney makes that decision. If you are a minor and were a victim of domestic violence by an adult I would expect any DA to move forward regardless of your wishes.
Make sure you show up as ordered so you don't get yourself in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back