please read, and help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapout

Ok, I will start off with what happened, and then ask a few questions.

April 07, I was in Arizona, I live in Cali. I was coming home from a weekend I spent at one of my friends family's house, which lives in Lake Havasu. On my way home, I was speeding, got pulled over. The police officer asked me to get out of the car, I did so, and he searched me, and when he did, I had a pair of brass knuckles in my back pocket, which I bought earlier that day(which is why they were even in my pocket, in Arizona, marketed as paper weights. So he gave me a sight and release, took the paper weight of course, and I was on my way.
The court date I had was for either late April or Early May, I cant exactly remember, and at that time, was still in high school, so I called the court and asked for a extension, they told me to write a letter, and send it to them, gave me the address and the whole bit. I didn't hear back from them for awhile, but I figured snail-mail can take some time, as will as the right person getting the letter, and either approving or not the extension. A month, maybe more later I got a message on my phone saying that I needed to call the number which they left, before 10:30 the next morning. I called at 7:45, they were not in yet, I take it cause no answer. I called 10:45 (next closest time I could, cause I was at work, and that was my first break) they answered. They could not find my record at all, they searched under my last name, full name, case #, SSN, the works, and nothing. The lady then went on about how the case probably got dropped, she assured that thats what it was and thats why I even got a call. but she then said "I will give your name, number to the judge and if thats not the case, she will call you again" never heard from them since.
Now, I get laid off from my job, cause the econ, and it was just slow this year. I go out looking for a new job, FINALLY I get 3 different offers, I was going to keep my options open, or maybe even take 2 of them. they say that I am hired, and will start once I get my drug test and background check done. Passed the drug test, no problem so far, then they are saying that the background check is still saying pending, one was pending for 3 weeks, the other about a week, and they said that sometimes it just takes awhile, up to a month.
I get them back, and it shows that I have a felony offense of a "unlawful use/possession of a firearm". I call the court AGAIN, they then say "you have a warrant, get here when you can" I asked "no specific time, or date?" she say no, just whenever you can, which is weird to not only me, but everyone I ask, even my oldest brother which is a police officer. So after that phone call my parents tell me to call that brother, cause he knows the law more then anyone we really know, and see what he thinks I should do. He tells me to call the district attorneys office in AZ, and tell them my story, cause it is false charges, and so on. So I call the DA right after talking to him, they gave me the run-around, and then tell me they will give SOMEONE a note that I called, and will call me back.

I am wondering what I should do.
Should I get an attorney(which I don't really have money for since I cant work right now).. just go down and "turn myself in" which I was told I shouldn't do anyways.. Keep trying to get a hold of the DA..
I am trying to do as much as I can without going to Arizona, cause it is quite a drive, about 4 hours. I figure I can at least do as much as I can over the phone/emails/letters and so on.
but, any advice?

well tapout, im not a lawyer, but what i think you should do, is to call a lawyer in arizona to see if you can have some sort of consultation over the phone or email. most lawyers dont charge for a small consultation. they will give you a reccomendation of what you should do. you also mite want to contact several other criminal lawyers in the state to get other opinions to see if they add up. they will most likely be able to let you know what the next step is AND they will probably have better access to the appropriate people in the Arizona DA's office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back