Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christinams30

Ok I will try to keep this short. Moved from Oregon to Colorado. We rented a house, lived there for 4 months. Upon moving out we cleaned everything except the carpets. the landlord said he needed to replace them anyway. Carpet was about 6 years old, and was in poor shape when I moved in. The paint was worn, faded and flat paint. They hadn't painted it for about 4 years. Now I moved back to Oregon and the landlord is harrassing me, calling, e-mailing and sending text messages. I left $2065 from the deposit and rent, because I moved out 20 days early. He is saying we owe him $3300 dollars. I will show you the items he listed. Please help! Thanks, Christina

Damages
ITEM Owners Cost Percent responsible for Renters Portion
Carpet 2184 0.25 546 see below reasons
Paint 2100 0.5 1050 see below reasons
Water Bill 455 455 never paid during tenancy
Duct Cleaning 230 0.5 115 we wouldn't have had to do this if there wasn't smoking going on
Gutter 150 0.5 75 bent above door, neighbor saw kids climbing on
HOA Fine 100 100 multiple noise warnings
Ice Maker 250 250 no longer works
Kitchen Sink 350 350 Not only big ding but the enamel has been scraped off somehow from the bottom of the sink
Garage Door Remote 35 35 missing
10 Door stops 20 20 missing
Doorbell button 4 4 broken
Locking Doggie Door 105 105 missing, cant find just the locking door, have to buy whole door
Screen upstairs master 25 25 missing
Owners Cleaning 100 100 Gum and Dirt clods off roof Cigarette butts all over yards Grease in garage and siding Dog poops in yard Trash in garage 2in thick ice on driveway and sidewalk 5 days after last snow stained deck cigarette ashes in loft window sill and stereo/tv cabinet
Broken Window Loft 100? 100 Off track, looks like someone tried to get in here when locked out.
Totals 6108 3330
Unrelated - Propane, broken & stained stuff from motorhome 65
Rent/Deposit paid by renters 1232 =2032 WORKED - 800 TOWARDS 4 MONTHS RENT

Paint damage
Writing on almost every wall
Food and candy stuck to walls
Writing on some vents and doors
Smoke smell
Upstairs NW bedroom closet shelf broke
Front closet shelf broke
Patched texture has to be redone, it's a rough stucco, not knockdown.
Gouge on faux painting

Carpet damage
Smell Smoke
Found 3 Cigarette butts on carpet
Permanent stains in rooms where there was none before

Yes, I did take pictures. I also have wittnesses who will write a letter verifying this. You see...my landlord lost his job, thats when this all started. He now has a $2500 and $1500 mortgage to pay with no income. I think he is desperate for money. He also told my husband and 16 year old son that he was losing his mind, because he had to stop smoking pot, so he can find a job!! I got a new letter from him again, also. Check it out below....

Christina,

Just to let you know, the below is just a first blush estimate with a break
on some of the costs if you were going to make this easy on us. I wish
Bill would have returned my calls late last week and I texted you again this
weekend saying we needed to talk right away but you didn't call us back
either. It's unfortunate you didn't work with us, now it's going to cost
us all a lot more. Me for attorney fees and you because I am going to
charge you every penny that is due to me.

We are now gathering firm bids, repair bills and your water bill that we had
to pay because you didnt pay it. The electric and gas company told us you
didnt pay those bills either but the water bill, even though it was in your
name, would have hurt my credit and cause a lien against our property so i
paid it. I'll be sending you an official disbursement letter with a copy
to your housing counselor in hopes that you will not be able to do this to
the next person who tries to help you out.

You would think when someone tries to help you out you would go out of your
way to make sure they were happy but instead you made our lives miserable
for months by breaking the HOA rules constantly, trashing our home, trashing
that neighborhood, not doing what you promised us you would do and doing
things you promised you wouldn't.

All I can thank you for is finally leaving before you could do any more
damage.

ok so all of this is BS.....litterally

Thank you

Did you fail to pay these utility bills? If so, it may go against you in court as it would imply that, well, you fall into the "deadbeat" category of tenant.

As such, a judge is more likely to listen to a landlord in this matter. Of course, some states are tenant friendly, some more landlord friendly.

Gail

So, you didn't pay the utilities; LEAP paid them instead.

Are you certain they did this?

Why did you live there for only 4 months? Seems like an awful lot of damage for that short a period.

What is likely to happen is that, if you do not pay this, your landlord may consider filing a lawsuit against you for these claimed damages. If he does and you both go to court (and many of these cases are handled through Small Claims Court), you should bring your pictures of the rental unit at move out as evidence to the contrary regarding his claims of damage.

The court is not likely to accept a letter from a witness.

Gail

All utilities were paid. This man is insane. I live in Oregon now, he is in Colorado. He is now claiming we $6000 in damages! We have people willing to stand up in court for us. We both agreed to end the lease early. The reason I wanted out early was because, they were calling, texting, e-mailing and driving by everyday, all day. It got to be to much for me and my family.

Again, if you have a written agreement (signed by both you and the landlord) regarding breaking the lease early, then the landlords lawsuit will revolve around damages above that considered normal wear and tear.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back