please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lookingforhelp

Question if you are suspected of wrong doing say fraud, and the police have subpeoned your bank records, but have not spoken to you, or made contact with you. If they can not located you, what can become of it? They can't convict you of anything, right? I assume they can apply for a warrant, but would have to have substantial evidence? Please help, and is there a time period if something is not resolved or a warrant is not served that it goes away? thanks

Originally posted by lookingforhelp:
Question if you are suspected of wrong doing say fraud, and the police have subpeoned your bank records, but have not spoken to you, or made contact with you. If they can not located you, what can become of it? They can't convict you of anything, right? I assume they can apply for a warrant, but would have to have substantial evidence? Please help, and is there a time period if something is not resolved or a warrant is not served that it goes away? thanks
They can put out a warrant for your arrest. If you are thinking of fleeing and thinking that you can avoid prosecution, I don't think that there is a limit with regard to charging you because my understanding is that putting out a warrant for your arrest might act to toll a statue of limitations.

Think about this logically -- if what you are hoping to accomplish was the law, then every criminal would simply hide and hope to go free because they were able to merely avoid capture. Bad for public policy. If you've got an issue think hard before fleeing -- you might have even compound the issues by doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back