Please help us

Status
Not open for further replies.

LONEWOLF1701

My wife & i have a 2 year lease on a rental home. we have 15 months left & the land lord who is a real estate herself put the house on the market for sale. before it goes to forclosure. She was aware when we signed the lease it was heading that way & never told us. our questions are. Do we have to allow the house open for showings or can we set the rules for showingsince it is of no benefit to us if it show or not. is the land lord required to do any thing for us to make us whole again to be able to find another place to rent?

Here's my take on this but you may want to get other opinions. Your lease is binding on the current owner and subsequent owners as well, unless otherwise determined by court order or mutual agreement between lesee/lessor. As far as the scheduling of showings to prospective buyers, that is determined by your lease agreement. Read it carefully. Regardless, your lessor/agent needs to disclose to any prospective buyer(s) that the property is subject to a lease with 15 months left on it. Since she is an agent, she should readily disclose this info to prospects (and/or their agents) before she even allows your home to be shown. That's just common courtesy to all parties, including other agents, prospective buyers and of course: you the residents. My guess is that your landlord/agent will honor those courtesies, if you ask.

When I look at rental properties for sale that have tenants residing, it is always clearly stated to me that, should I purchase the property, I am to honor the remainder of the lease.

You need to rethink your statement that it is of no benefit to you to work with your landlord to show this property or not with the goal of selling it. If you decide not to and the house goes into foreclosure an eviction notice is sure to follow.

Your best chance of staying in the rental is to work with the landlord in terms of showing it. If the details are not stated in the lease, you can request the same time frame as you would for non-emergency repairs; at least 24 hours notice.

Gail

Another thing to consider either with current or new owner, once sold. Is "cash for keys". I have had this happen in a home we once rented and we were offered a substancial sum of money to leave home early. If agreed get this in writing. Its a win/win for both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back