Please Help!! New neighbor has private surveillance cameras in a condominium complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisamarie2683

My family and I have lived in and owned the same condominium in the same complex for 23 years. About 5 months ago we had a new couple rent the unit on the opposite end of our building. The guy installed infrared surveillance cameras in his front and side windows (which record activity on his side of the community parking lot and also on the side community parking lot) and is constantly calling the police when he sees someone (namely my younger brother {22} and my younger female neighbor who lives directly next to him {20}) walk near his or his girlfriend's cars, always trying to claim the cars were keyed. We own two small dogs and if we walk near their cars he or she immediately tries to say the cars were keyed. Him and his girlfriend are ALWAYS threatening everyone. Twice he has threatened to shoot my brother and our younger female neighbor. Is it even legal for him to have these cameras? And is there anything we can do to put an end to the threats? The police have been told about the threats and have done NOTHING to diffuse the issue except to tell us not to walk near their side of the building, which wouldn't be an issue but their side of the building is right next to the community parking lot where my brother and I have to park our cars. Please help!! :(

Without knowing Conn. law I would vnture to say the cameras are legal, as long as they are not pointed at a place that would give a expectation of privacy, like in a house. I dont think anyone could argue expectation of privacy in a parking lot?

If you just want it to go away I would stop walking near the cars. If it was me, I would mess with him big time, but Im kind of an ass anyway :)

Has he shown proof of the key marks? I would carry a camera at all times and constantly walk near his car, even make gestures like I was keying it BUT hold camera in hand to show no contact with car, JUST NEES TO BE CRYSTAL CLEAR THAT THERE WAS NO CONTACT :) I like to rustle feathers so it would be right up my alley :) You can expect to fight it, I enjoy the fight in court but only because there is allways a chance you will loose and it will suck.

Get him to constantly call the cops but allways be the innocent guy that some nut job wack-a-doodle neighbor is harassing all the time.

Those are really your best two options, walk away or dive in full force. If you make a comlaint now you cant prove for a fact you didnt key the cars so complaints wont go anywhere.

Good luck

Thank you! The only reason I found a website to get some help was out of desperation. We had an incident tonight with his girlfriend (who is an older woman by the way, and he's no spring chicken either). My brother was walking his dog and was on his cellphone and walked by her car and she came outside and started a war. She even hit him with a broom!! My mom went outside to see what was going on and the lady started screaming every obscenity in the book at her too. Finally I called the cops and they did NOTHING, except say they were going to obtain a copy of the tape she had for today and review it and if the investigators at the station who review the tape see my brother doing anything to the car that they would come back with an arrest warrant. The cop completely disregarded the fact that she hit my brother with a broom and then verbally attacked both him and my mother!!!! WTF!!

There is really no such thing as a "verbal attack."

As for the battery by broom, did your brother want to have his attacker arrested? If he did not press the issue, it may have been something the police could not act on without his indication of a private person's (citizen's) arrest.

If he really wants her prosecuted for the attack, he should call the police and speak to someone higher up, complain about the response, and demand a report be taken as he would like her prosecuted. Of course, it might be up to the DA to pursue it or not, but at least his intentions might be known.

I guess you're right about there being no such thing as a verbal attack. Sorry, I'm still upset about the whole incident. The police in this town are very disappointing. Not only did my brother persistently talk about the broom incident and how he wanted to press charges against her, but my mother also kept bringing it up and the cop just disregarded it. My mom said that since he was obtaining a copy of the tape anyway, to make sure he watches for the part where the lady attacks my brother with a broom. The cop pretty much brushed off everything they said. Why should we have to live in fear of these two psychos? They don't even own their unit, they just rent and we have tried to get a hold of their landlord but I guess she doesn't care what goes on, as long as she gets her money on time. Ok, I guess I'm just venting and rambling so I'll stop but thank you for your input. I appreciate both of the responses :)

Being upset is understanding, but most of the issue involves a rude neighbor and not criminal activity. The attack with the broom is criminal, but there is no law that requires the police to investigate crimes. However, there might be a law that requires them to take a citizen's arrest (I am not familiar with such laws in your state). This is why he needs to speak with a higher up at the department if he wants something done.

Thank you very much. I will let him know tomorrow and hopefully we can get this resolved. My parents couldn't believe that when the guy had threatened and I quote "To put two in your head" to my brother and my brother told the police this and nothing came of it. I'm tired of living like prisoners in our own neighborhood. But hopefully now, with what you've told me, we might have a way of ending all of this. Thank you again :)

I see two problems, and the cameras have nothing to do with either of them.

First, the neighbor may have made criminal threats when he said he would shoot your brother. It depends on the circumstances and how seriously your brother took the threat at the time. If the neighbor is making these threats then you can seek help from the police, however these matters can be hard to prove. It may help to obtain a restraining order which would compel all parties to cease contact with each other- any violation of the order for any reason would be enforceable.

Second, your brother was a victim of battery when struck with the broom. Assuming that he did nothing to provoke this and it was not some kind of mutual combat, he simply needs to report the matter to the police. If the police aren't taking you seriously and won't take the report or make an arrest, then you can make a citizen arrest. I suggest you become familiar with the laws regarding citizen arrest before attempting to make one so that you do not cause legal problems for yourself.

It seems odd to me that the police would disregard the broom incident. Even though it was minor, and even if there is not an injury, it was an escalation of an ongoing problem and should be noted.

If you are not happy with the service you receive from the police you can always make a formal complaint or ask to speak with the supervisors. A formal complaint should always be done in writing and the agency likely has a specific form for citizens complaints.

Thank you very much. I also saw the threats as a criminal charge. My brother took it very seriously and ever since that threat was made to him, we (my brother and I) run past their part of the building so we can get to our cars located in the community parking lot on the right of their unit. It's crazy to me that we have to live like this. And the guy also threatened to "put two in" my neighbor's head. When she reported it to the police, I think they just brushed it off as a young girl trying to get attention. Every time the cops are called here, whether the guy and his girlfriend call, or someone else in our building, it's ALWAYS a different cop. And it seems like it's always a rookie cop. I believe the way they see it, the neighbors that are always making these statements about their cars, are older people, and their usually calling them to question young adults. The cop told us last night that the lady's boyfriend is in the hospital and until he comes out, he can't collect a copy of the tape, so when he does if my brother hears from him, he's getting arrested. How can it be possible that they only need the boyfriend to obtain this tape? He's the craziest of the two individuals and I am wondering if he can, in any way, alter the tape to try to frame my brother. I wouldn't put anything past this guy. Thank you again for the information you have already given me. I truly appreciate it.

Unless something new happens, nobody will be getting arrested without a warrant being issued... and that sounds very unlikely.
The officer likely said what he did because he is trying to discourage further contact between all of you.

Your last comment really put my mind at ease. I believe that you are right. In the last month and a half, the cops have been called 6 times and I'm sure they are tired of wasting their time to come here and find out there's no real problems. Thanks again for all your help. :) My family and I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to this. Have a nice holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back