Please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

candies103

About 2 years ago I got a car from a auto dealership out on a loan. I could no longer afford the car, it came down to the car or eating and I chose to eat. Well, they ended up taking me to court for the remainder of what was owed on the contract, which I fully accepted. I have been making payments on a regular basis on time, no excuses. But, last month I lost my job. Unemployment is being ridiculous and I'm fighting with them on a regular basis to get my checks that I deserve. In the mean time, I've been looking for a job with no luck, as I only have a high school diploma and the only places here (Michigan) that are hiring want a college degree with 2-3 years experience in the field you are applying for.

During court the company representative and I settled outside the courtroom for monthly payments. This month's payment is rapidly approaching and I have MAYBE $10 to my name, with no one to lend me any money, believe me I've asked. Last week I called the company and I asked them if they could extend the date, I get my Economic Stimulus check at the beginning of July and I will send them both payments then. They proceeded to tell me that if I don't make the entire payment by the date that it is due, they will go to the court and have me arrested and put in jail and take me back to court. I ended the call, and yesterday I got a letter stating the same thing.

Now, I am told the only thing they can do is take me back to court and garnish my wages (which I have none of), freeze my assets and bank accounts (again, none). And that I can actually press some sort of charges against them for threatening me with jail time. Granted I don't want to press charges, but I don't want to go to jail either. Is the company right? Can they press charges? And if they can send me to jail, how long will I go for-I still owe 1,600 if that means anything? OR are the other people right? Please help me I'm very stressed out. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back