Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Please help me concerning shoplifting misdemeanor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plshelpcy

I was caught shoplifting a $24 dollar item at Store name in New York yesterday. No cops were called/involved. They took my driver license information. They asked me if it was my first offense. It was my very first criminal act ever and I regret it. They gave me a civil demand customer notice. They said I will be getting something in the mail for fines. After I signed a paper, they let me go saying I'm banned from the store for 3 years. Will everything be okay after I pay this fine? Will this be on my record? Will it show on background checks? I'm currently a 20-year old college student and my school has background checks every year. Please could someone answer these questions. Thank you so much.

Will everything be okay after I pay this fine? yes
Will this be on my record? no, only any retail theft databases that they subscribe to...
Will it show on background checks? no

Thank you so much for your response.
I have another question regarding the mail I will receive. How long does it usually take to arrive? And is it strictly for the fine only? How do I pay? By check or could I pay it online? Also... will I be asked to appear in court? No, right?

I am really nervous. I can't believe I got myself into this. This is not me at all. =(

In regards to myself being banned from the mentioned store. Do you think I'm banned from any other stores as well?

How long does it usually take to arrive?
Days, weeks sometimes months. theres no way to know for sure.
And is it strictly for the fine only?
If its Civil Demand yes
How do I pay? By check or could I pay it online?
The letter will have instructions on payment
will I be asked to appear in court? No
If criminal charges are filed or get filed yes if not then no
Do you think I'm banned
You are banned from "Store name" and any of its companies

Oh wow it could take that long? =/ Just gonna make me worry more.. maan why did I do this!
Most likely they won't press charges though right? It was a first offense and only for that amount?
Also would they let my parents know? I'm currently 20.

We cannot predict whether they will or wont file criminal charges. There is no need to involve your parents since your an adult

They took my driver license information

Not to worrie you, but since you had ID some stores in some states/cities send in a police report, you still might see charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back