Please help I’m scared

jay reeves

Jurisdiction
Florida
So I was hit from the side one day by a vehicle the insurance company of the PAF took full responsibility gave me an estimate for repairs that they could see and told me that it was my choice to keep the check or let them pay for the repairs . I could live with the dents and scratches so I took the check . My wheel bearing was bent , so I called my claims rep and also added that in with the photos I sent of the damage , someone from the photo estimate center contacted me and said they can only write a check for damages they SEE I may have to go to the body shop for diagnostic and they will pay whatever isn't covered in the check . So I did that and the shop I went to was not really a body shop but told me I had a bent wheel bearing and I need an alignment. So I reached out to my claims rep she said that's fine Just don't spend my check cause they are paying the difference not the whole thing , I completely understood and was grateful . So the claims rep set the appointment with the shop and got me a rental . So I dropped my car off to the auto shop. I heard from no one in 2weeks . So I reached out to the auto shop on the second week on a Friday he told me my car was in a body shop I was confused but I said ok . Then Monday I got a call from a different shop it was a body shop saying the bearing and body is done all I needs is an alignment so I was confused when he said body but I didn't question it . So then the financial repair manager contacted me saying he was gonna cover everything , unless progressive sent me a check which they did but I never authorized the body shop to fix anything all I wanted was the wheel bearing and alignment I signed off with the autoshop those repairs NOTHING ELSE. So now I'm extremely stressed I don't know if I can get my car cause I can't afford to pay the full fee and I want my car back . So if I can't get my car do I have to lawyer up ? And if so do I have a case and could I win ? Tampa Fl

Did you ever cash/deposit the check you were given?

What did the insurance company say when you told them the body work was done?

Do you have a work authorization from the shop showing exactly what service was to be performed?

Did the insurance company send you to that shop or did you choose it on your own?

Did you ever cash/deposit the check you were given?

What did the insurance company say when you told them the body work was done?

Do you have a work authorization from the shop showing exactly what service was to be performed?

Did the insurance company send you to that shop or did you choose it on your own?
Yes I cashed the check and have like 45% of it . I never told the insurance company the body was done because I didn't request it . They already knew anyway cause the body shop reached out to them as well. And yes I have a work authorization I signed off on with the auto shop for my wheel bearing and alignment not my cosmetic damage . And I chose the auto shop because the reviews and because they didn't do cosmetic damage . I never wanted the cosmetic damage fixed and it got fixed anyway by another shop I didn't authorize it to do .

the insurance company of the PAF took full responsibility

What exactly is a "PAF"? I assume it's a reference to the other driver, but....

and told me that it was my choice to keep the check or let them pay for the repairs . I could live with the dents and scratches so I took the check .

And when you received the check, you signed a full and complete release, right?

My wheel bearing was bent , so I called my claims rep

Just to be clear, we've now moved from talking about the other driver's insurer to talking about your insurer (and I assume this means you carried collision coverage). Right?

they will pay whatever isn't covered in the check .

Meaning your insurer agreed to pay whatever damage wasn't covered by the check you received from the other driver's insurer?

So if I can't get my car do I have to lawyer up ? And if so do I have a case and could I win ?

I don't really understand the issue. Your post is very garbled. If the repair place did work that wasn't pre-authorized, you likely have no liability to pay. On the other hand, if it was authorized, you or your insurer will have to pay.

When you spoke with someone at the repair place about why the body work was done when you didn't authorize it, what response did you receive?

PAF I believe is Person At Fault. Just a guess.

I agree you need answers from the shop about why the body work was done and who authorized it. The answers to those questions steer the rest of it.

FWIW, when I think about all the acronyms we have now that we didn't even 10 years ago, I have to LMAO. OMG, my DH & I were talking the other day about my DS & DIL, when I got an important phone call. I told him I'd BRB, but then the caller hung up so I said NVM. BTW, DH then sent me a video that was NSFW, and boy did I LOL. YOLO! :)

What exactly is a "PAF"? I assume it's a reference to the other driver, but....

And when you received the check, you signed a full and complete release, right?

Just to be clear, we've now moved from talking about the other driver's insurer to talking about your insurer (and I assume this means you carried collision coverage). Right?

Meaning your insurer agreed to pay whatever damage wasn't covered by the check you received from the other driver's insurer?

I don't really understand the issue. Your post is very garbled. If the repair place did work that wasn't pre-authorized, you likely have no liability to pay. On the other hand, if it was authorized, you or your insurer will have to pay.

When you spoke with someone at the repair place about why the body work was done when you didn't authorize it, what response did you receive?
I apologize what I was saying was that I contacted the claims rep in charge of the claim this is still the other persons insurance. She gave me a check already for my cosmetic damage and alignment but not for the wheel bearing . So when I found an auto shop to do my wheel bearing and alignment (not body work) I contacted the claims rep she set up an appointment and got my rental . I had the rental for 2 weeks with no communication from the shop or the other insurance company . So I called the shop and he told me it was in a body shop . I didn't authorize anything to be done to my vehicle but my alignment and wheel bearing . But the body shop fixed the damage anyway to my car . So I'm confused now because I don't have the money to pay for the body work if I didn't ask for it ...

Have you been presented with a bill?
If sho, have you asked them who authorized the repairs?
You need to do more leg work with this before anyone can help you much.
You are on the right track. You need to finish collecting information.

So I'm confused now because I don't have the money to pay for the body work if I didn't ask for it ...

So, again: When you spoke with someone at the repair place about why the body work was done when you didn't authorize it, what response did you receive?

Have you been presented with a bill?
If sho, have you asked them who authorized the repairs?
You need to do more leg work with this before anyone can help you much.
You are on the right track. You need to finish collecting information.
Ok and I know for sure the Insurance company authorized it I just haven't confronted the situation cause I don't know how to go about it

So, again: When you spoke with someone at the repair place about why the body work was done when you didn't authorize it, what response did you receive?
I didn't ask cause I didn't authorize it I assumed when he said body work he just meant my wheel bearing cause he stated he put my new bearing on all I needed was an alignment the reason I know they did body work is I got googled the phone number they gave me and drove the rental to the shop and their I seen my car outside looking brand new

Until you answer the questions you've been asked I doubt you will get any more help.
The auto shop has presented me with an outstanding bill and expect me to pay them for the body work when I never signed off on it . And I'm afraid now I won't get my vehicle after 4weeks off this mess cause they decided to jump the gun .

Have you discussed this with them?
What did they say when you told them you did not authorize the additional repairs and would not pay?

You will not get your car back until this is resolved. How much is the bill?

You could pay the bill to get your car and attempt to be reimbursed after winning a judgment in court. Otherwise, if they will not compromise, you will have to wait it out.

I suggest any further communication with them be done in writing. This brinbe with you outlining the complaint, providing a copy of the work order with specific repairs, and a reasonable offer for settlement. Give them 7-10 days to reply before seeking legal counsel.

Be courteous. A nasty, angry letter won't get you bonus points. Remember that a judge may read your letter later.

I told them I didn't authorize it but they told me that it's not good to get half the work done and I explained to him if I wanted everything done I would've took it to a collision center and he kept saying how he wrote the check to the body shop so somebody gotta pay . And he's requesting the check progressive gave me but I already spent it

Ok then... Off to court you go.
Take copies of whatever documents you have and visit a local attorney. You could try go doing it solo, but if it is a reputable shop you might find an attorney willing to help you out.
This could potentially be resolved with some fancy letter writing.

T
Ok then... Off to court you go.
Take copies of whatever documents you have and visit a local attorney. You could try go doing it solo, but if it is a reputable shop you might find an attorney willing to help you out.
This could potentially be resolved with some fancy letter writing.
thank you so much for all your help

Back