Please help... I got a letter.. what should I do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesklg

I got a letter from attoney of sattelite company saying that they just got a business history of a company selling device to modify sattelite TV, showing I purchase from them... that mean I used or attemp to used that.... they want me to send in that device and pay a fee which is not specific amount yet in their letter. But I did not bought any "device". In the past I did let my roomate borrow my creditcard to buy something on the net because he said he doesn't have one. When he wants to use my card I ask around people told me as long as he buy from a company that locate in United State then it safe about legal and Creditcard protection.
I don't have sattelite so how can I buy something that support to use for it? My appartment rule don't let anyone install/connect anything outside the appt including roof. My roomate 1 time install the sattelite and the associate call the landlord asking it to be take down instandly on the same day, and the landlord come the next day to check make sure it been taking down. couple months later my roomate moving out.... it been a long time now I got the letter, I can't find my roomate to make him responsible for this.. what should I do now? could you please give me some advice. Thank you so much for taking time helping me, I really appreciated !!

Sounds to me like they want to scare you into admission that you bought equipment to illegally modify their satellite. Unless what you say really happened, I would definitely not want to send anything in writing. If it were me, I'm not sure I'd care to address them at all since they wouldn't really have a case against you and it's not as though you'll have your satellite service (which you don't have) shut off.

Thank you so much Michael for answer my question, I forgot to say that they send the letter to me via US certified mail and give me 2 weeks to response or they will go further.... So I did send email explain the whole thing like my post, I also gave them my landlord phone number incase they want to verify that I did not have sattelite up to now. I hope they will understand!?!
Do you think that response will more bad than good to me? I really don't know what to do, I can believe that I got in to trouble that I never creat it :( ,

Thanks again Michael for your advice, and thank you for any advice from anyone. I really appreciated!!

If you never have had and don't have a satellite service, then I'm not sure what you have to worry about. Was the service that your roomate had in your name?

We also don't know what the letter said so it's difficult if not impossible to know how to respond properly. What you write and say can be used against you. I'm not sure what "go further" means either. It could mean put you in an "uncollectibles" pile and that's it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back