Please HELP - Bank of America Setoff and Hardships

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagejames

Hi all,
New to the forums and I'm liking what I see from the community here. I have a serious problem and have been racking my brain searching online and haven't had much luck. I did a search here on the forums and only found a couple of references to bank setoffs and they didn't answer my question.
I have been banking with Bank of America for years. I've had several checking accounts with them as well as a couple of credit cards (one personal and one business). I'm in California and am a home loan officer by trade. Needless to say, the real estate market here has been in the dumps for the last few years and I haven't made very much money in the last 3 years. When all my income dried up, I managed to keep paying all my bills and maintaining excellent credit for 2 years. Finally in July of last year (2009), I just couldn't keep it up. I had to stop paying my credit cards. This resulted in Bank of America charging off the account back around April of this year.
I have been squeaking by right now on about $700-1100/month. I'm even collecting food stamps and my daughter and I are currently on Medi-Cal. So my checking account rarely had more than a few hundred dollars in it at any one time. I managed to put together a deal that netted me about $2,900 and I deposited it into my checking account and immediately used it to start paying some bills, including my rent for July (I'm behind right now). I deposited the check on Friday and on Monday there was an $1,144 debit in my account. They had cleared the checks that had come in over the weekend and took everything else except they left me with a measly $100 in my account. I understand they have a right to setoff against my credit card debt, but this has caused me an extreme financial hardship. My rent check was also written against this account for $860. Now my rent check won't clear and my daughter and I potentially could be living on the streets.
Is there any type of exemption for financial hardship in this case? I know in England, where our law of setoff descends from, they are not allowed to take the money to satisfy a "non-priority" unsecured debt if it causes hardship to the consumer in paying their "priority" bills such as utilities, mortgage, rent, etc. - basic necessities to live kind of stuff. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone here in the United States that has any idea of how this works. I even spoke with a "consumer" lawyer and he said if it was a levy because the bank had obtained a judgment, I could file an exemption with the court. But to do that, I need a case number to file it against. Since there was no judgment obtained and no court case, I can't file anything in court. He said I'd have to file a case against Bank of America then I could file an exemption. By that time, the money will be eaten up in legal fees anyway.
I've tried checking out Banking Regulation E and Banking Regulation Z, but I don't have the brainpower to make sense of all the legal terminology. I'm looking at the possibility of my daughter and I having no place to live and I'm at my wit's end here. Anyone that can help me figure out how to get Bank of America to pay that rent check would be a true lifesaver!

Thank you in advance for any and all help,
James

PJ, I understand the calamitous times in which we all find ourselves. I pray things will get better for you soon.

The answer to your dilemma is buried in the fine print of your credit card and checking account agreements. I also am aware of how setoff works in the UK.

The agreement that you were coerced into signing allows unscrupulous banks (the one where you bank included) to confiscate your funds without benefit if due process for you. Thus, these greedy charlatans were allowed to effect the confiscation of your hard won dollars to pay for a debt they have written off months ago.

Those funds, sadly, are gone forever from your coffers. Had you owned another bank account at another institution, you would not have suffered this unarmed robbery. The bandits would have been forced to sue you, whereupon you would have been afforded due process to defend their allegations.

Alas, you'll never get a day in court. The potential plaintiff has suddenly become your judge and executioner by virtue of an obscure and obtuse reference buried in the find print of a contract, only a lawyer could ever have understood. Regrettable, unfortunate and shameful this is sanctioned by our government officials.

ASAP, open a new checking accept and do no more business with those highwaymen!!! Good fortune will shine upon you soon. Do not let them hit you again. Bank with a credit union, community bank, savings & loan, or my favorite; brokerage money market.

Hi all,
I have been banking with Bank of America for years. I've had several checking accounts with them as well as a couple of credit cards (one personal and one business). I'm in California and am a home loan officer by trade. Needless to say, the real estate market here has been in the dumps for the last few years and I haven't made very much money in the last 3 years. When all my income dried up, I managed to keep paying all my bills and maintaining excellent credit for 2 years. Finally in July of last year (2009), I just couldn't keep it up. I had to stop paying my credit cards. This resulted in Bank of America charging off the account back around April of this year......

.... Is there any type of exemption for financial hardship in this case? I know in England, where our law of setoff descends from, they are not allowed to take the money to satisfy a "non-priority" unsecured debt if it causes hardship to the consumer in paying their "priority" bills such as utilities, mortgage, rent, etc. - basic necessities to live kind of stuff. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone here in the United States that has any idea of how this works. I even spoke with a "consumer" lawyer and he said if it was a levy because the bank had obtained a judgment, I could file an exemption with the court. But to do that, I need a case number to file it against. Since there was no judgment obtained and no court case, I can't file anything in court. He said I'd have to file a case against Bank of America then I could file an exemption. By that time, the money will be eaten up in legal fees anyway.

While I gain no pleasure from pagejames current situation I don't feel that BOA is to blame for his hardship as much as he is himself. Credit cards are for emergencies and should be paid in full monthly. If you carry debt in today's turbulent economy you better be able to pay it back.

I don't know what the law in England is but we have laws here in America that protect the consumer and ensures his right to fair credit practices. There are laws on the books so that well intentioned credit worthy folks don't end up on the street to satisfy a "non-priority" unsecured debt. Pagejames didn't choose to research that but instead simply stopped making his payment. Did he contact BOA and discuss modifying his terms? Did he seek credit counseling?

My beef with BOA is that they didn't sue him. Pagejames could have found himself hiring an attorney to defend himself in court and his wages garnished just as easily. Instead they chose to set it off and who do you think ultimately is paying for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back