Please Help ASAP interpret Child Support Interest Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisaq

Will someone please help interpret the law and policy regarding interest on child support arrears in California. California is charging 10% interest monthly no matter how it is calculated. After a bit of research and reading appeals court opinions, I keep finding that Calif. appeals courts are only charging 6% interest on missed payments. I am confused between Family Code Sec. 155 and Calif. Code of Civil Procedure Sec. 685.020. Senate Bill 97 was passed in 2002 in regards to how interest is calculated and I just need some clarification. If there are any arrears at all and these supposed arrears are not by judgment or court order, only what CP has recently submitted to local child support agency from 2000-2003, is the interest calculated on each missed payment or the entire principal? What rate? If there have been modifications of support since that time does this then fall under Dupont? Please help as we have a state hearing in 2 days and the local agency is doing everything illegal right down to hearing procedures. thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back