Placement of Surveillance Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mindcrime

I live in an apartment complex that has a separate gym building. Because we live rather far from the structure, we were wondering if we could legally place a small spy camera in the common exercise area to check to see if anyone is using the equipment we want to use. That way, we would not walk all the way over there, only to find we can't use our favorite machines or other faculties. (Yes, I understand the irony of complaining about walking too far to exercise.)

I know it's legal to place a camera in a common area, where there is no expectation of privacy. Although the gym requires a key to enter, there are literally hundreds of residents with access to this building. Does this qualify as a private or public area?

When you asked building management if you could do this, what did they say?

Could you call over there to see if anyone is using the equipment you want to use?

why a spy camera? sounds like you want to watch what is going on in the gym. if it is not your private property, private and for your exclusive use, you most likely be spending a lot of money on legal fee's and possibly worse

Most of the time the OP's name reveals his or her true intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back