Pirating Movies Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwightKSchrute

An acquaintance of mine (anon), seems to think that watching a movie that has been pirated/illegally reproduced, is legal and "not pirating." He claims that since he did not download the movie (only streamed it), he is not pirating or doing anything illegal.

My question: Is watching (streaming) a pirated movie online illegal and/or pirating?

I look forward to your replies.

Last edited:
Ok let me get this right. Your friend is going to a website like "watch movies" and is watching current films? He is not downloading but just watching? The illegal acts appear to fallon both the website and whomever placed those films on site not the viewer. Your friend is not keeping the films or distrubting them elsewhere.

Your friend shouldn't have a problem in watching the movies from a practical purpose. Streaming is a download of data. I'm not saying that this might not be a violation of copyright law. What is really the issue here? What's the concern? Is there something else I'm not hearing about?

Thanks for your reply,

I'm not saying there is a problem, I was simply wondering if it is considered "pirating" to watch movies from a site that illegally reproduces them.

I don't know if it falls within the definition of "pirating" but the activity is certainly not morally and probably not legally acceptable. After all, your friend is clearly free riding off of the misdeeds of others and that benefit was sought out by your friend.

I took this off one of those sites. This site doee not host movies.

Important Notice:
Please be advised that many video files, particularly those for recently released titles, may have a very short lifespan before they are removed from host sites. Watch Movies does not host, nor does it upload video files. Links are sourced and indexed only. For this reason, we cannot repair dead links. We do, however, endeavour to locate replacements as quickly as possible. We ask that members be patient and we apologise in advance for any inconvenience.
Disclaimer:
Watch Movies provides links to other sites on the Internet (DivX host sites, supernovatube.com, megavideo.com, myspace.com, tudou.com, veoh.com, youku.com, youtube.com, and others.) We do not host or upload any video, films, or media files. Therefore, Watch Movies is not responsible for the accuracy, compliance, copyright, legality, decency, or any other aspect of the content of other linked sites. If you have any legal issues please contact the appropriate media file owners / host sites.

I don't know if it falls within the definition of "pirating" but the activity is certainly not morally and probably not legally acceptable. After all, your friend is clearly free riding off of the misdeeds of others and that benefit was sought out by your friend.

I see your point but this might be similar to people who live near Drive ins that can view the movie for free.

Thank you for all your answers. What I need the most is a definite "Yes it is pirating" or "No it is not," and then a short reason why/why not. Your answers are great, but seem to all be beating around the bush. ("jharris"s answer was a little to blunt however).
If you are not sure you could also say that too, but recommend someone who would
know. My understanding is that it is pirating due to streaming technically being downloading, therefore making both unauthorized viewing of an illegally reproduced film. Am I wrong?

-Thanks

Welcome to law. There is rarely a blunt answer. I answered as bluntly as I can though I agree with both other posters. Depending on how accurate you want to be he isn't pirating because he isn't distributing or making a copy. However he is infringing on the copyright. So you pick your answer: Infringing on the copyright? YES Pirating in the sense that he is copying and/or distributing no. That's as good as your answer gets. I hope you win the bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back