Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Petty_Theft_please_Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaredStudent

I'm 21 and received a ticket for Petty Theft (code: CPC | section: 488). I was caught shoplifting inside a sporting good store, they called the police and i was taken down to the station and did the whole finger printing thing and was released with this ticket. My court date is June 4 2004 and i have no prior crimes.

The sporting good store's lawyers sent me a letter saying that according to California Penal Code Section 490.5 it lets the court award damages to the merchant from $50 to $500. The letter further stated that to speed things up they would only charge me $300 to be payed in 20 days or else they would take me to court and go for the full $500. They did note that it didn't prevent crimal prosecution from the law. Scared out of my mind i sent them a check about 4 days ago.

I am very dissapointed in myself and i have not talked to anyone about this, which is why i have decided go online to seek help. I had a few questions :

1. I am a senior at a university and was wondering if this would GREATLY put me at risk at getting a job.

2. I heard there was something where a judge could grant me like a 2 year probation since this is my first offense and this misdemeanor would be off my record. If anyone knows anything about this please respond.

3. Also what should i do now?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and offer any advice if you can. Thank you

I hate it when people don't update their situation because I'll just assume they're sitting in jail right now, a year after they posted. That doesn't help my constant worrying about my own similar situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back