Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Petty theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z3r0x7

I'm 16. I live in Wisconsin. I was at an internet cafa (you have to pay for minutes you're on the pc.)And I found out a way I could play a game without haveing to spend my minutes. I didn't take minutes, just didn't use them.

My account got suspened. I left. Then stupidy enough I came back because my friend liked the place and wanted to go there (He didn't know what happend).
Then a guy comes up to me and askes my name, I tell him.
He tells me to come over with him and talk to the manager of the store.
He tells me I was stealing minutes and that I found a way to get past time raven (The program to use to log in and such.) I told him I didn't know what he was talking about.
He tells me I need to wait, he needs to call his dad and ask what to do.
(Scared me) Says, I'll be right back. I run back to a friends house and dont go back.

The cops come to my house that same day. know one else is home but me. I dont come to the door.
He then leaves a message on my phone about he is giveing me a ticket for petty theft.
I never got it, still dont. Don't know how much.
All I know is the time of my court and what day.

When I made an account for this place I never signed any terms of service. And I didn't really "Steal" time. I just didin't use any.

If any of you have any advice I would really appreciate it.

Well, thanks.

But I was looking for more an awnser.

For one, can they do that? I didn't sign anything about terms of service when I made my account for the pc place.
There is know signs that say anything about you have to be loged in all the time.
And, I never stole any mins, so... How could I be in trouble for stealing?

[[I'm 16. I live in Wisconsin. I was at an internet cafa (you have to pay for minutes you're on the pc.)And I found out a way I could play a game without haveing to spend my minutes. I didn't take minutes, just didn't use them.]]

You were on the PC and you played the game without "spending minutes" which you're supposed to do. Therefore, you got the service for "free". Something you've done must have been wrong because you're account got suspended. i think it's a little much to be charged with petty theft (a misdemeanor),the only thing i can say is to speak with a lawyer to give you advice and maybe try to get the charges reduced.

943.455(2)(e)
(e) Possess without authority any device designed to receive from a company any services offered for sale by that company, whether or not the services are encoded, filtered, scrambled or otherwise made unintelligible, or designed to perform or facilitate the performance of any of the acts under pars. (a) to (d) with the intent that that device be used to receive that company's services without payment. Intent to violate this paragraph for direct or indirect commercial advantage or private financial gain may be inferred from proof of the existence on the property and in the actual possession of the defendant of a device if the totality of circumstances, including quantities or volumes, indicates possession for resale.

This is the closest statute that i could find that would be close to a "theft of service" law. This one however, i think deals with cable theft. Hopefully you get the idea on how you may be charged with theft.

Thanks for the info.

How far do you think I could get it down to? It's allmost 400 right now.

Could I get it so it's not on my record?
If I can't, doesn't it just get taken off when I turn 18?

Z3r0x7 said:
Thanks for the info.

How far do you think I could get it down to? It's allmost 400 right now.

Could I get it so it's not on my record?
If I can't, doesn't it just get taken off when I turn 18?

If you are a first time offender, usually they offer you to just pay a fine or probation/community service and if you complete it then they may take it off your record. And i'm not so sure if it gets taken off when you're 18 maybe it does. You're a minor so maybe they'll go easy on you. Good luck.

Ok, it's tomorrow and I still haven't talked to anyone about this..
I'm not sure where I could talk to any lawyer for free.

Well, could I do community service for this or not?

Z3r0x7 said:
Ok, it's tomorrow and I still haven't talked to anyone about this..
I'm not sure where I could talk to any lawyer for free.

Well, could I do community service for this or not?

Look, you are really gonna need an attorney. It may cost more than the fine, but you won't have a conviction. From the sound of it, you could argue intent (i.e. I didn't know the it was wrong)...it might fly.

That's what I was going to try to go with.

I just don't have the money to get one, or my mother.

It's in about 2 hours.

So what happened?

Where do you live? If its in a metro area, I'm guessung they have much bigger fish to fry than you.

I wish you luck & let us know what came of this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back