petty theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

riavaldez

I was cited for petty theft for $306 at TJMaxx on August 24, 2008

I don't have enough to afford a private attorney.

Has anyone been in a similar situation in California? What was the outcome and common punishment for this offense? Probation? Infration? Community service?
Fines?

The officer scheduled a court appearance on November 11,2008 at 8:30am, if you plead no contest or guilty, does the judge give you a moment to plea your case?
What are the common questions that the judge would ask? Will I be sent to jail?

This is my first offense and I've been law abiding all my life. I am considering to get help from a psychiatrist for counseling and just had myself assessed by the National Association for Shoplifting Prevention.

I've been reading that most people are getting infractions? Will this record stay for the rest of my life?

I'm scared, haven't been able to sleep. I am so ashamed...I need your help.

The NASP has a program you can take that judges smile upon. Enter a not guilty plea and request a public defender. The public defender is your Attorney and can discuss options like diversion with DA. My husband knows the Director of the NASP if you send me a private message I will give you her email

Hi Jacksgal!

It has been morethan 2 months. Again and again a big thank you for the advice you gave me. Now I can say i'm better and I've gone thru counseling and I was even given by the psychiatrist medication for 3 weeks. I even enrolled with the NASP program which helped me so much.

As my court day gets near, I kindda get nervous because I dont know that to expect on "the day". Also, I got a question:

My court date is on veterans day Nov. 11, per the ticket that was given to me.
I believe the court is closed that day since it is a federal holiday. What should I do? Will I be receiving a new court date via mail?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks again!

Can you tell me what happened to you? I was involved in a similiar situation at the Sunglass Hut and my court date is Nov 20....What should I do..I don't want this to go on my record or go to jail> what should i do?

Courts, sentences etc vary. You cant gauge what will happen to you by anothers post. They may not be in exact same situation, state etc.

Jerbear25, I had my court date last November 10th. I expected the worst but things went out positively. Since this is my first offense I was qualified for a Diversion Program by the judge. Which state are you at? Since I'm from Northern California....I was given court fees to pay, 20 hours of community service, a CDF class to take and I had to get finger printed. Then I have to return to court in 6 months in order for my case to be dismissed.
The NASP program that i took was very helpful too. Good luck on your court date. I'm sure you will be given a chance like me. Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back