Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft petty shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexandria81

This weekend I was charged with shoplifting an item at the mall for $80. i didnt get fingerprinted or arrested but had to be detained and the store security took my id information, had me sign an agreement that I did steal, and i had to write why i stole. anyway since this is a fairly new charge, i was wondering if i had to get a lawyer to defend me? I mean what is really the advantage since I will have to plead guilty when i go to court. i feel its just more money. also, when you do have to go to court to pay the fines, do you have to give a check or what other methods can you pay? if anyone was convicted or knows someone who was convicted how much are the fines? i realize it is a maximum of $1000. let me know i will be very appreciative!!

If your jurisdiction has it, you might be able to get pre-trial diversion or deferred adjudication so you don't have to be found guilty, since it's your first offense. You should find a lawyer with a free consultation. I also found out that being given a misdemeanor summons and being told to come to court at a later date, even though you're not fingerprinted, is still technically an arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back