Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Petty Larceny first offense, can it be removed???

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sooners329

Yesterday, I was caught leaving a Gordman's store in Tulsa, OK with items concealed in my purse. The reason is very silly.. I had been embarrased at Christmas when my friends got me presents that were much much more expensive than the ones I managed to get for them. We had a joint birthday party for them last night, and I wanted to get them nice presents to make up for Christmas. I felt horrible in the store because I couldn't find anything nice that I could afford, so I decided to take some things instead. I left with 3 perfumes, 2 pairs of earrings and a water bottle. The total of the items was around $85.

The store security stopped me at the door and took me back to the security room. He filled out a report and called the police department. Both the security and the police were very nice, I think it was because they could tell how absolutely terrified I was. They even let me buy a few of the things I had tried to take after we were finished in the office (I could only afford the earrings and water bottle). The security man told me I can't go to any Gordman's stores anymore because it can be considered trespassing. The police gave me a ticket and told me I have to appear in court in three weeks. They said it was a misdemeanor. Also, they took my fingerprint on one of the pages.. does that implicate anything?

Will this offense be going on my record? Will it be permanent? What do I need to do in court?

I am a 20 year old female, and I have no previous history of anything aside from a couple speeding tickets that were like 8 or 9 mph over the speed limit. I am in the process of applying to nursing school for the fall, and my goal is to become a pediatric Nurse Practitioner. I am so so nervous that this stupid mistake will keep me from continuing in school! Please let me know how seriously this will affect me.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Public Enemy #1!

The process you went through at the store is called "Cite and Release" which is a great substitute for actually being physically arrested, handcuffed and taken down to jail where you'd have spent three days(72 hours) before seeing a judge.

Your court date is for your arraignment when you respond to the criminal complaint against you by pleading Guilty, Not Guilty, or No Contest, and there is no need to fret over this matter this time around since you were only cited for a misdemeanor Petty Theft indiscretion and nothing more serious, and it will not show up on permanent record; like a jaywalking citation.

You will pay a fine and (may be) made to make restitution to the store and then you will be out of court in no time; just remember to plead No Contest as opposed to Guilty in case the store decides to come after you in a civil case; which they won't, but better safe than sorry.

And no; it will not affect your chances of obtaining a nursing license.

fredrikklaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back