Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft petit larceny: what is going to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperate09

I live in CAand me and my friend were caught shoplifting in Las Vegas. We were charged with petit larceny (misdemeanor); I stole $107 worth of stuff. Our court date is coming up fast & I need some advice. First off, neither one of us have been charged with a crime before. Neither one of us can afford a lawyer, but since we are pleading guilty, I figure we do not need one. I just want to go in, plead guilty, pay any fines, and get out of there. Does this seem realistic to you? What are the likely min and max penalties for this? Do you think I will be charged closer to the minimum? Should I ask what my penalty will be before pleading guilty? If I pay, there isn't going to be any jail

Desperate first off I"M IN NO WAY A LAWYER however having legal issues of my own from time to time I figured I could throw some advice.... First you have the right to represent yourself (judges hate that) and if you do usually you have the opportunity to speak with the DA first before going back up in front of the judge. Here is where you can negotiate and find out what they are looking for in terms of a sentence...... If you have no prior issues usually the DA will try to muscle you with a probation for a period of roughly one year or so.... My advice would be to ask the DA for a CWOF (continue without a finding) after a 1 year period basically you be good for a year and it goes away and of course offer to pay the restitution of what you took.... Honestly if you took 100 bucks worth of stuff and did nothing before your not going to do time..... So save the 1000 or so for a lawyer and go for it.... Also you are intitled to a court appointed if you meet the requirements thats a very goos choice opposed to going it alone.... Hope this helps

Brian are youy insane!? No do not defend yourself under any circumstances its suicide. Many Lawyers will grant free ofice visits to discuss options. Take them up on it. Ask them about optins like Diversion. Then if you cannot afford a Lawyer as Judge for Public defender then take what you learned to Public Defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back