pet sitting insurence

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatoJr

I own and run a pet sitting and doggie daycare business out of my home. I am careful to take down their info, the vets info, the medical records, etc...
I carefully screen who I let in my home and let play with my own dog.

I do not have crates and I do not know if it makes a difference; The dogs sleep in the master suite with us.

I do wonder if I need insurance to cover me in case of any injury on my watch or if someone falls on the ice outside my home bringing their dog. I want to make sure I don't lose it all.

How can I make sure I am covered? Is there a clause I can put in my contract that they sign which would work?

Please advise me on this issue.

I do wonder if I need insurance to cover me in case of any injury on my watch or if someone falls on the ice outside my home bringing their dog. I want to make sure I don't lose it all.

You probably want insurance, then. And your homeowner's insurance probably doesn't cover any business you run out of your home. So you'll need insurance specific for your pet-sitting business.

How can I make sure I am covered? Is there a clause I can put in my contract that they sign which would work?

You make sure you are covered by getting appropriate insurance. Talk to your broker.

Putting "a clause in your contract" doesn't get you insurance. It might be a waiver whereby your client agrees not to hold you liable for any damage suffered by their pet, or something like that. Talk to a lawyer about drafting your contract to have a waiver.

hold harmless agreement

I found a specialized pet sitting insurance for my needs but I am told that a hold harmless clause is something I should do in my contract. What can you tell me about 'hold harmless?"

It's similar to the waiver I mentioned above. It means that the pet owner agrees it will be responsible for certain liaibilities incurred by you. Like, just as a frinstance, "the Pet Owner agrees to hold harmless the Sitter for any and all cost and damage incurred by the sitter arising out of the performance of this agreement". So if the agreement calls for you to walk the dog, and while you're walking the dog it escapes and bites somebody, the Pet Owner will be on the hook to the victim, not you.*

* - This example is not in any way intended to be used in a contract, and you should consult with a lawyer to ensure your contract contains appropriate language.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back