personel information released to co-workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme

I work in the medical profession in the state of NJ. I was recently put on the carpet for erring during an aspect of my job. That aspect of my job was suspended for me for an undetermined time.
This information was released to my co-workers, who did not need to know of it, through an electronic message. My director sent this information to my all of my co-workers in a forwarded electronic message. My impression is that this is a violation of my privacy by my employer. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
If the director was letting others know that a mistake like the one you made is not acceptable in the work environment you are in, then it is not illegal. It may not be fair that he used you as an example, but not illegal. No invasion of privacy here. Good Luck!

Many thanks for the rapid reply.

The information was not released as a warning to others in the department. It was included in a forwarded e-message in brackets authored by another department head. There was no lesson or warning included about what caused the partial suspension, just that that aspect of my job had been suspended. I quote;

(obviously [my name] is not permitted to [suspended function] until further notice.)

The purpose of the message was to share scheduling information for an up coming event where that function would be used, there was no warning involved and no need to share this information.

Last edited:
Nothing illegal here. Sharing sheduling information with additional details is not illegal.

My impression is that this is a violation of my privacy by my employer. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong.

Legally, you have very little "right to privacy" in the workplace. Your employer has no legal obligation to keep any aspects of your employment confidential with the exception of certain medical information he may have on file. It may or may not be wise to reveal the details of your suspension; it may or may not be professional. But it is not illegal and it does not violate any privacy rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back