Personal Reference for Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirleyc

Recently I interviewed for a job. I had to supply 8 references, 4 work and 4 personal. The references were checked and the interviewer called stating they were all exemplary, she was thrilled, extremely impressed and said she thought I was perfect for the position. She wanted to speak to me one more time, the next day and set up a time to meet (the client was working out of town at the time.) The next day the conversation went well and we were set to meet in 2 weeks. A few days later I received a phone call from the interviewer stating one of my personal references had called her back and the reference said that she thought someone else should have the position because I didn't deserve to make that amount of money. The reference further stated that because I didn't have entertainment industry experience and other people that had worked in the entertainment industry for many years and not be earning anything close to me, and they deserved a chance to make that amount of money before me. The interviewer told the reference that she didn't want a candidate with entertainment industry experience, she wanted someone with a corporate background. My background is finance (BBA-Finance) and law (JD). The interviewer told her my background, being corporate, was exactly what she was looking for. My reference continued with her campaign that she still didn't think I should be making more money that others who had been in the industry for many years more than me. My reference is an entertainment attorney. I did not get the job. I do not know an exact reason as to why I did not get the job. Do I have any recourse against my reference and would the Bar Association be interested in her conduct?

You can always request the interviewer for an interview feedback. Ask her to be as detailed as she can on the letter, email or phone call. Now I am confused... I am not sure why salary was discussed between your reference and the former prospective employer. That is something that recruiters usually try to avoid during questioning and is not the focus of the investigation - that is very unusual (not to mention the fact that the reference and the recruiter had several conversations regarding your background from what I could gather from your posting - that is usually a one time deal phone call); also, if you are a JD why don't you know the answer on how to proceed regarding the overstepping of your reference when it came to the amount of information and negative campaigning ?

Last edited:
The reference was a very good friend of mine who essentially stabbed me in the back. She and I have been open about our careers, salaries for years. The reference and I discussed the position in depth including salary. The interviewer, who was actually in the position that I was interviewing for did not bring up the salary. That was my shady friend/reference who brought it up. No need for the snide comment regarding why I don't know the answer myself. I attended law school over 10 years ago, never practiced or got barred. It wasn't of great interest to me. I just finished the program and that was it. Lastly, frequently it is the attorney the who belives that he/she has all the answers and knows all the answers that comes up with an inaccurate resolution. i have no problem saying I don't know an answer an asking for help. I'm sure there is many a client that wished their attorney had.

If you took the time to read, I already said I didn't get the job. Why all the snide remarks? Please say something informative or constructive. Otherwise there's isn't any need for you to comment.

Your not paying attention. Whats your question? Can you sue them no you cant! Oh wait sure you can chances of winning are almost zero! Its your reference next time choose more wisely

You don't get to make that choice. However I am bored with you anyhow and have things to do. You have no law suit if thats your question. Choose your references more wisely in the future

No. You cannot sue her.

She is entitled to give her opinion. If her opinion is that you shouldn't get the job, she is entitled to say that.

What's more, if you had seven good references, it's unlikely that the SOLE reason you didn't get the job can be laid at her door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back