Personal liability for purchasing vehicle for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bllsandra4

I provided the funds to purchase a vehicle for an 18 year old male, who is not related to me, and he registered it only in his name. I also paid the initial cost for the insurance policy which is only in his name. Can I be sued or be held liable for providing the money for him to purchase the vehicle if he is in an accident and injures/kills himself or someone else? I'm thinking about selling the vehicle because I feel I could be held responsible if he is responsible for an accident. Please let me know if I could be held liable or sued by his family or anyone else for providing the funding to purchase the vehicle.

Thank You. Bllsandra

If your name isn't ANYWHERE on the registration, title or the insurance then consider the money a nice gift to him.

Thank you for the reply. We provided copies to the DMV of where I satified the lean on the vehicle for the temporary registration, but I am not on the registration. Also, we paid for the insurance with my credit card. Still everything is only in the 18 year olds name and my name is not on the registration or the insurance. I just want to make sure I can't be held liable for providing the 18 year old with the vehicle if he's involved in an accident. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back