Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Person isn't culpable

Nathan Vizard

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello, so two friends and I have been harassed over the spam over 1-2 years by a person Im extremely tired of and was never once friends with yet they claim we were. Everytime we block an account of his on Instagram, Twitter, etc he somehow has another or makes another to contact me and my friends again to harass us and threaten to kill us. A month or two ago we had finally had enough of him and took things to the police and they investigated it (My friend had to harp on them for them to actually investigate it because they didn't care.) They looked into and had doctors check whether or not he was "culpable" and came to the conclusion that he wasn't which means we cannot press criminal charges on him even though he is 18 because he is "incapable of making decisions and cannot be held accountable for his actions" and yet he's able to make the decisions to constantly harass my friends and I??? His parents haven't even done anything to remedy the situation even after being told to do so by the FBI and Police. He contacted me 12 hours ago as I'm writing this and I'm sick and tired of it. Is there anything at all I can do to press charges on him? I need this to end so I can go about peacefully.

Criminal charges, no, you don't have control over that.
You could look into civil options though, including a restraining order. If he violates a restraining order he could be arrested every time he contacts you.

Criminal charges, no, you don't have control over that.
You could look into civil options though, including a restraining order. If he violates a restraining order he could be arrested every time he contacts you.
What if they conclude he's not "culpable" again and deny the restraining order? What can I do next? He's still harassing my friends and I by making new accounts or using one of hundreds he has for some reason to harass us by messaging us when none of us want to talk to him.

He'll keep doing it as long as he knows it pushes your buttons.

Why don't you just ignore the messages?

It's easy. I'm on a site where I have 81 "notifications." I have no idea what they are about. Why? Because I don't click on them. That's how easy that is.

Either that or stay off social media and keep in touch with your friends by phone or in person.

He'll keep doing it as long as he knows it pushes your buttons.

Why don't you just ignore the messages?

It's easy. I'm on a site where I have 81 "notifications." I have no idea what they are about. Why? Because I don't click on them. That's how easy that is.

Either that or stay off social media and keep in touch with your friends by phone or in person.
That's not how it should work. Ever. I shouldn't be forced off of social media because of one person who can't take a hint and stop harassing people. The block button exists for a reason and I shouldn't need to use it more than once for the same person.

Y' know, sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes you just have to do things that in a perfect world you wouldn't have to do. If hitting the block button more than once will solve the problem, that's going to be a lot simpler solution than any other.

Everytime we block an account of his on Instagram, Twitter, etc he somehow has another or makes another to contact me and my friends again to harass us and threaten to kill us.

Have you considered getting rid of your Instagram and Twitter accounts?

They looked into and had doctors check whether or not he was "culpable" and came to the conclusion that he wasn't which means we cannot press criminal charges on him even though he is 18 because he is "incapable of making decisions and cannot be held accountable for his actions" and yet he's able to make the decisions to constantly harass my friends and I

I assume this means the police don't want to pursue the matter further because they believe this person lacks the necessary mental capacity to be convicted. It probably also means they don't believe the threats will be acted on.

His parents haven't even done anything to remedy the situation even after being told to do so by the FBI and Police.

You said this person is an adult, so his parents likely have no control over what he does and doesn't do.

Is there anything at all I can do to press charges on him?

As mentioned by someone else, you could seek a restraining order and, as noted above, get off social media.

What if they conclude he's not "culpable" again and deny the restraining order?

Mental capacity would not be relevant to a civil proceeding for a restraining order.

That's not how it should work. Ever. I shouldn't be forced off of social media because of one person who can't take a hint and stop harassing people. The block button exists for a reason and I shouldn't need to use it more than once for the same person.

In case you haven't noticed, the world isn't a perfect place, and things don't always work the way they "should." If you want a magical solution whereby you can simply snap your fingers and make this problem go away, you're going to be continually frustrated.

The block button exists for a reason and I shouldn't need to use it more than once for the same person.

Let's see how that works in another setting. You're sitting in a chair and somebody goes to punch you in the face. You raise your arm and successfully block the punch. He goes to punch you again. This time he connects because you believe you only had to block one punch to stop all the punches. He keeps punching you until your face is a bloody mess.

Back