Perjury lawsuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATX77

Jurisdiction
Texas
I was admitted to a mental hospital in May. I was treated horribly and various rights of mine were violated. Of course, all of this is "he said/she said" and since I was a mental patient, my word isn't as highly regarded as theirs's. I can't believe the treatment I received. I worked as a registered nurse, so I am very aware of rights, procedure and ethics. I took copious notes of the abuses there. Since I was adamant about my rights, I was even more of a target by the disgruntled and overworked staff. This led to me being placed under and Order of Protective Custody which was drafted based on falsehoods and exaggerations in nursing notes (again, the staff was abusive and malicious, specifically the weekend night's staff). On my pre-trial hearing, they did NOT allow me to see my lawyer, which is against the law and he would likely have urged them to drop the case as I truly did not meet criteria. During my pre-trial hearing, they perjured themselves when their legal liaison said under oath that I "was refusing psychotropic medications", which was untrue. This set me up to be held against my will as it painted a picture to the judge of non-compliance and I was committed. I was able to call the ethics line, and I spoke to the CNO, who apologized to me and stated, "she mis-spoke, we didn't mean to commit perjury". The legal liaison who was in charge of the pre-trial hearing has no medical background (not an RN or hold any medical licensure).

These two obvious mis-steps, 1) not allowing me to see my lawyer prior to hearing and 2) committed perjury which can be proven through my medication record, set me up to be held against my will, incur further abuse, was assaulted by another patient, etc. My case is so messed up that my court-appointed attorney for the hearing, has spoken to the county attorney and is working on getting the commitment expunged off my record pro-bono as he felt I was very much wronged. He's done this work for a long time and has never taken these steps, but he saw all the flaws of the way my case was handled.

My question is, do I have a case to sue for damages? I am left mentally and emotionally scarred after the treatment I received. The facility is owned by a large corporation, operating 250+ facilities, as I understand it. I took copious notes from my time there, as I was very bored and quite alarmed by the behaviors I witnessed.

My question is, do I have a case to sue for damages?

The best answer you will get for that is from a personal injury lawyer. Most will give you a free initial consultation so you have nothing to lose but a few hours of your time. I suggest you consult 2-3 lawyers since the opinions of lawyers may vary and you don't necessarily want to go with the first lawyer you meet if you do have a claim; seek out instead a lawyer in whom you truly feed confident and who will be responsive to your needs.

But there is no such thing as "Sue for perjury."

In Texas that is quite true. As the Texas Court of Appeals noted:

Texas does not recognize a civil cause of action for perjury and that witnesses and parties who testify in judicial proceedings are entitled to absolute immunity from subsequent civil liability for their testimony, even perjured testimony. See Trevino v. Ortega, 969 S.W.2d 950, 953 (Tex. 1998) (acknowledging that separate civil causes of action for perjury does not exist); see also Moore v. McDonald, 30 F.3d 616, 618 (5th Cir. 1994) (holding that officer's testimony, which was subject to perjury penalty, was "absolutely immune from" civil perjury claim); Spurlock v. Johnson, 94 S.W.3d 655, 658 (Tex. App.–San Antonio 2002, no pet.) ("the Texas Penal Code does not create private causes of action").

Tumlinson v. Barnes, No. 03-15-00642-CV, 2017 WL 1832488, at *3, fn 17 (Tex. App. May 5, 2017). Instead, this would be a neligence/malpractice and/or civil rights violation claim.

The burden would be on you to prove that untrue statements were knowingly/willfully made with intent to mislead and cause harm.
This is quite different than simply stating something that turns out to be incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back