Passport Passport name change??? Please help....

Not open for further replies.


New Member
My spouse's name is correct on passport. but her mother's surname has spelling mistake.All other details are correct. We were not aware of the fact till now. Now we are in the process of applying for I-485. I am confused if this might be a problem for green card processing?

I do have Birth certificate. But in her birth cerificate, it mentions only the first names of her and her mother although her father's full name is mentioned. And the mistake above mentioned in passport is in surname. The muncipalities in India register the birth in this manner, their explanation being that a child's full name is his/her first name followed by the father's full name. Similarly a married woman's full name is her first name followed by the husband's full name. I know this is not necessarily true in the USA. Do they will consider it as evidence?

Thank you
This is not legal Advice!

Your question is too difficult to answer because it is down to the individual dealing with the application, the immigration service and procedure is not to the letter. This is because each application has it's own confusing issues and it is down to the immigration officer to be vigilant and precise as to not make the wrong decision, they are trained to spot red flags and may require further information to satisfy there final judgment.

Your quote: "Now we are in the process of applying for I-485"

This is all you can do and if the matter arises address the situation as clearly and concise as you can be.

Take care

Not open for further replies.