partial security deposit

S

seekhelp

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi,

I have received a partial security deposit from landlord. At the same time I have decided to file a claim in small court for the remaining amount withheld by the landlord. Should I go ahead to make a deposit of the partial amount? If I deposit the check, will the landlord use that as a proof that i have accepted his reasons of reduction? In the landlord's mail, she didn't state that depositing this check will automatically accept her reasons.

Please advise.

Seekhelp

Hi,

I have received a partial security deposit from landlord. At the same time I have decided to file a claim in small court for the remaining amount withheld by the landlord. Should I go ahead to make a deposit of the partial amount? If I deposit the check, will the landlord use that as a proof that i have accepted his reasons of reduction? In the landlord's mail, she didn't state that depositing this check will automatically accept her reasons.

Please advise.

Seekhelp

If you're seeking $500, but your LL gave you $200, I'd simply secure the check.
If you wish to sue for $500, bring your lawsuit, serve the LL, and when you go to court take the UNCASHED $200 refund chek with you.

Good luck.

Back