Parole violation warrant

Nathania Hammel

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
My friend's prison sentance expiration is 2/12/23. As of 12/20/22 he has an active warrant for a parole violation- there are no new criminal charges. He has 52 days remaining, and seems to think that as long as he turns himself in within 30 days, his expiration date will remain the same. This doesn't make sense to me- I assume that each day he is a wanted fugitive, a day will be added to his end date. Example: He turns himself in on 12/30/22- his expiration would then be 2/22/23. I have searched through all the materials from the state of MN and can't find anything specific to a person with less than 90 days on their sentence- if that matters! Thanks!

My friend's prison sentance expiration is 2/12/23. As of 12/20/22 he has an active warrant for a parole violation- there are no new criminal charges. He has 52 days remaining, and seems to think that as long as he turns himself in within 30 days, his expiration date will remain the same. This doesn't make sense to me- I assume that each day he is a wanted fugitive, a day will be added to his end date. Example: He turns himself in on 12/30/22- his expiration would then be 2/22/23. I have searched through all the materials from the state of MN and can't find anything specific to a person with less than 90 days on their sentence- if that matters! Thanks!
Your friend should ask his attorney for clarification.
Beyond that...did you have a question?

My friend's prison sentance expiration is 2/12/23. As of 12/20/22 he has an active warrant for a parole violation- there are no new criminal charges.

Felons, generally, are usually trouble.
Felons are best avoided, unless one wishes to destroy their life.

I have searched through all the materials from the state of MN and can't find anything specific to a person with less than 90 days on their sentence- if that matters!

I'll bet that the only thing you didn't read was MN statute 609.14 that explains how that works.

Sec. 609.14 MN Statutes

The court can take a variety of actions depending on the circumstances. Anywhere from no action to bringing new charges for further incarceration.

Depending on why your friend broke probation and what he's been doing, his remaining time might or might not be an issue.

I suggest that your friend turn himself in right now. The longer he waits, the more pissed off a judge is likely to be, and it's not a good idea to face a pissed off judge.

By the way, with so little time left on his sentence, breaking probation was incredibly stupid. But, then, most criminals are incredibly stupid.

I've never been a Judge, never clerked for a Judge and never played one on T.V.....even I know one should not piss off the person who holds your freedom in their hands. Common sense. ;)

I'd stop worrying about his criminal matters - it won't do anything beneficial for you.

That warrant could force them to file to revoke his probation and then there will probably have to be a hearing for it to determine if it gets revoked or not.

My ex husband has been on post release supervision twice and probation once. The first time he was on probation, they did file to revoke it because he got arrested for a warrant on another crime before rehab. But they decided to just let his probation ride out and he had a year left. They never did revoke it. His last post release - they filed to revoke it a month before it expired and never did revoke it. This most recent one - they filed to revoke it in May last year (he got out in Feb) and he got it continued until Nov and finally plead no contest and has sentencing end of this month - and his prs would have ended in Feb. That state - the judge can either give him up to 12 months and count time served on sanctions or extend the post release supervision.

Honestly it does no good to worry about it especially when it doesn't involve you. Might be best to stop talking to this friend until they get it together and especially don't be talking to them if they have a warrant out for their arrest.

Back