Parking Lot Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

glowin

I handed my keys/car over to a valet parking lot attendant who parked my car in a parking lot for a $10.00 fee. I came back to retrieve my car a few hours later and my back windsheild was smashed in. I have a $1000.00 deductible and since the car was brand new, the total cost for windsheild repair was around $1200.00. I have made several attempts to collect some/all of the money from the parking lot owner but he seems to think he is not liable for the damage that was caused to my car in his parking lot. My question here is does the parking lot/owner have any liability over damage to cars parked in it? I would hate to think that we have no laws protecting parked cars in valet/parking lots. What do we pay these people for exactly? I assume some of the cost should go toward security of the vehilces parked there. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I am thinking about taking this to small claims court.

Originally posted by glowin
I handed my keys/car over to a valet parking lot attendant who parked my car in a parking lot for a $10.00 fee. I came back to retrieve my car a few hours later and my back windsheild was smashed in. I have a $1000.00 deductible and since the car was brand new, the total cost for windsheild repair was around $1200.00. I have made several attempts to collect some/all of the money from the parking lot owner but he seems to think he is not liable for the damage that was caused to my car in his parking lot. My question here is does the parking lot/owner have any liability over damage to cars parked in it? I would hate to think that we have no laws protecting parked cars in valet/parking lots. What do we pay these people for exactly? I assume some of the cost should go toward security of the vehilces parked there. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I am thinking about taking this to small claims court.

1) Was there any writing on the ticket you received from the valet with regard to this relationship?

2) Were there any signs at the parking lot that disclaimed liability?

State statutes will vary. Here is a sample from Kentucky:

189.710 Liability of parking lot or storage garage operator.
Every operator of an automobile parking lot or storage garage who takes possession ofthe customer's automobile and requires keys to be left with the automobile or theemployees of such parking lot or garage, shall be liable as bailee for hire and shall beobligated to safely keep and return such automobiles so parked or stored and shall beliable for any loss or damage to such automobiles except such as is caused by persons orforces beyond the control of the operator and his employees. The liability shall expresslyinclude liability for theft, and for damage resulting from collision of any type on the lot orin the garage where the event is in the control of or should be in the control of theoperator and his employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back